Running affecting eating/what are you eating?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
jessicaboykin

Running affecting eating/what are you eating?

Post by jessicaboykin »

I just finished week 1 today. I'm thinking about repeating it because I'm not sure that I'm ready to move on. I'm still crawling around the track at the speed of smell. Anyway, this past week I have been eating a lot less than usual. We were discussing nausea symptoms associated with running in another thread, and I think that may play a role. I'm what you'd call "skinny fat" at 5'5" and ~102 very out of shape pounds, but I usually eat a lot. You'd think that burning the extra calories would make me want to eat more, but it's been the opposite. I just don't feel hungry much at all. Have your eating habits been affected by running? What are you guys eating while working on Couch-to-5K? Bananas are my best friends right now. :)
Lauren

Re: Running affecting eating/what are you eating?

Post by Lauren »

Im with you on that one since i have started with the Get Running App my appitite has gone down i dont seem to eat as much and during the day im more interested in fruit and staying healthy, i have to say im pretty pleased about this as its helping with burning the calories.
During the week i do my running after work so i dont eat anything before i go out to run, and during the weekend i run in the morning but also dont eat before i go, i find if i do eat it then makes me feel sick during my run.
Not sure if anyone else finds this?

Lauren x
matt

Post by matt »

Unfortunately for my waistline, getting running hasn't done a lot for my appetite -- I still eat lots! Although I have lost around ten pounds, I think, last time I checked, over the course of about ten months, so I guess I'm at least heading in the right direction.

Although after a few experiences with running when I was uncomfortably full from a big breakfast, I'm definitely more careful about what, and especially how much, I eat in the few hours before a run!
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
KJE76

Post by KJE76 »

I hadn't linked to the programme, but yeah my appetitie has reduced lately too... odd. Swimming makes me ravenous!

If I eat within hours before going for a run I tend to get a stitch. I also notice a huge difference in my performance if I am well hydrated. I am terrible for drinking enough fluids and if I am dehydrated before run, its very hard! Lots of water however and I feel completely energised.

Anyone else found this?