Knee pain help!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Carlosrunner

Knee pain help!

Post by Carlosrunner »

:shock:
I am currently on run 2 of week 4... Yay!
Ever since week 2 I have had pretty sore pain around my left knee ( top of my leg bone, bottom left of knee... And very top of shin bone, underneath knee.)
The pain stays during the rest day but is almost gone by run day. Sometimes it does make me limp slightly during the run but it is manageable and gets no worse. It does seem to hurt more after though :(
Is this an injury or is it something that will get better if I keep running through it?
please help :D
(ps the programme is great!)
benjohn

Re: Knee pain help!

Post by benjohn »

Hi Carlos,

Well done with your progress to week four, that's excellent.

Unfortunately I don't have medical training, and we don't have anyone with medical training on our staff. I hope others will be able to offer you their advice or anecdotes, but I would suggest the following:

Talk to your doctor (general practitioner) about it if you possibly can.
If you are a member of a gym, talk to them about it.
If you have a small independent running shop near you (ideally not a big chain) go and talk to them, and they might analyse your gait. If they seem very focussed on selling you something expensive, then they're probably not very good.
Do some research on the web.

A lot of things like this can be down to how you run and the equipment you use. These things can be fixed, but you need to know what to do, so you need to find someone who knows what they are talking about. Anyway, here's a link I found googling for "knee pain running":

http://www.runnersrescue.com/Running_Kn ... Injury.htm

Also, I would not advice "running through" pain. If you've got pain it's likely your body is telling you to do things a different way :-)

Best regards,
Benjohn
Carlosrunner

Post by Carlosrunner »

Just to update: I took ur advice and found a running shop in yellow pages. After a gait analysis (lol I'm sounding professional ) I got a pair of Mizuno wave nirvana for over pronation.
I'm now in week 7 and after 2 weeks in my new running shoes I have no more pain!
YAY!
Thanks for the help x
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Awesome, I'm really glad to hear that! I'll keep giving the same advice then :-) Great stuff getting yourself to week 7 now!