Shoulder 'Stitch'?????

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LilH

Shoulder 'Stitch'?????

Post by LilH »

The title sounds odd, but this is the only way I can describe it!

I did week 5 run 3 on Saturday and after about 15 minutes a pain started on top of my right shoulder and neck. It felt like the same type of pain you get with a 'stitch' in your side when running. The exaggerated breathing was obviously making it worse, and although I carried on to complete the run (with a little slowing of the pace!) I'm a bit worried this is going to crop up again. It was incredibly uncomfortable. I got a small niggle with it on the previous run, but didn't think too much about it until it happened again.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Any theories welcome??!

Thanks

LilH
Dirlo

Re: Shoulder 'Stitch'?????

Post by Dirlo »

I think I go the same thing in week 1. And for a while m shoulder was killing me(the same feeling like tennis elbow)
I think it was happening because I was tensing as I run. So i recommend trying to relax your arms and shoulders when you're running. Plus I started stretching my shoulders out really well at the beginning and ends of runs. I'm only in week 3 but I haven't had any issues with my shoulder since the beginning of week 1 since I started really stretching it out.

Hope this helps you
Colleen
aljoneill

Post by aljoneill »

I get the same issue also and have done so for over 10 years. I find that it flares up when my arms move in a side to side or more circular "boxing" motion. If I change my arm motion to swing directly back / forward in a straight line, It takes the pressure of my neck/trap area and it eases up straight away.
Hope this is of some help.
LilH

Re: Shoulder 'Stitch'????? (Thanks!!)

Post by LilH »

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to you both for your top tips. I have just completed two 25 minute runs now and the problem seems to have gone!

I have to admit that I wasn't doing any stretching on the arms before or after the runs....a little silly really being that I'm really strict about stretching everywhere else.....and have now incorporated it into my routine. It seems to be helping with the tension in the shoulders massively.

It had also never really occurred to me that the type of arm movement might be causing it.....but on closer examination I was indeed running like Rocky Balboa!!!! It's taking a bit of attention to correct it when I realise I'm doing it....but at least it takes my mind off the fact that I can't breathe! :D

So, cheers guys......I'm really chuffed that I'm now able to progress into weeks 7 to 9 and complete the challenge.

LilH
TerranceKay

Post by TerranceKay »

aljoneill wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:29 am I get the same great PhenQ results also and have done so for over 10 years. I find that it flares up when my arms move in a side to side or more circular "boxing" motion. If I change my arm motion to swing directly back / forward in a straight line, It takes the pressure of my neck/trap area and it eases up straight away.
Hope this is of some help.
I used to get shoulder stitched. I think you need more electrolytes. Try eating more potassium and sodium. Avocados are good for potassium.