Week 5 run 3

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Sladonians

Week 5 run 3

Post by Sladonians »

Just completed the 20 minute run today. I was quite apprehensive before starting today's run as I've not run this long since being at school nearly 25 years ago.

I was amazed how the first 10 minutes passed seemingly very easily. Got to 15 minutes and started to get tired but kept the speed going at 9.5kph and pushed through it.

Once I'd got to 18 minutes it felt like I was freewheeling and I'd really found my stride. I felt great and was very pleased with myself.

Once I'd cooled down and stopped though I was unable to do the 15 minute crosstrainer and exercise bike as normal as my legs were like lead. I'll catch up with these over the weekend I think.

Have decided to start orienteering at weekends.

Thank you for Get Running, it really does work and has made me believe that even I can get fit again.

To anyone doubting this run in week 5, just trust the system and trust your body. You can do it!!!!

I know that it will be much harder to do this outdoors but I am going to complete the system on the treadmil first then work on speed at an incline setting to get my overall stamina up, then I will gO back to basics and start outside maybe at week 4 to see how it goes.

I am a very happy man thanks to get running.

Andy
Ssujh1

Re: Week 5 run 3

Post by Ssujh1 »

I have this run tomorrow and am dreading it!
LilH

Re: Week 5 run 3

Post by LilH »

Don't worry about it...you'll be able to do it. Seriously. I was so scared but I managed it, and you won't believe the sense of achievement when you finish it...huge! Don't worry about breaking any land speed records - just keep your pace steady and you'll make it. There seemed to be some kind of 'barrier' up to and around the 10 minute mark, but then I found my stride and carried on OK. And this is coming from someone who was nearly sick at running 3 minutes a few weeks ago!!

Like others have said just trust the program and keep it steady and you'll do it, I have no doubt!!!

Good luck! :)