ex-smoker

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Xfatsmoker

ex-smoker

Post by Xfatsmoker »

I just finished week 1 run 1 and it was freakin great. I am 40 yrs old and have been over weight my entire life. My current weigh is 260. Being from the states I am not sure what that converts to in stones( though it would be cool if some one could tell me).
On Jan ! of this year i ended a 25 year addiction to cigarettes. I smoked about 1 1/2 packs a day. Quitting that was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I feel better than i have ever felt and am so glad i was able to kick em. My biggest fear now though, is replacing that addiction with food, so to ensure that I didnt do that i committed to diet and exercise as well. I started walking the day I quit smoking and have in recent weeks started trying to run during parts of those walks. I was doing four miles per walk and found myself being able to run more and more of it.

I just found this app yesterday and started this morning. I absolutely love the time vs. distance aspect of it and i find myself wanting to hug the voice at the end of the last run. My breathing is my biggest concern. I know my lungs arent going to be able to do what a non smokers lungs are capable of, but if there are any other ex-smokers out there who can tell me if it possible to complete this thing or at least how far you've gotten, it would be very encouraging. My lungs have already surprised as to what they can do versus what they used to be capable of.

Benjohn, thanks for a great app and thank you for your amazing attitude about running for the common man.
Fitzxena

Re: ex-smoker

Post by Fitzxena »

Hey X! I'm a current fat smoker, lol, and I finally did week 1 run 1 too! I'm taking Chantix and I'm down to hAlf of what I was smoking, been smoking since I was 13, and I'm 41, and I'm not worried about it. I was at 2 pax a day, down to 1, and I'm planning in doing my 1st 5k in 4 wks, I'm figuring running is def going to help with my desire to quit. I feel great, a little sore, but sooo happy that I did it! Good luck!
Fitzxena

Post by Fitzxena »

Oh and a stone is about 16 lbs. At least that's what I was told when I was across the pond in Sept. We can do this!!! :)
LilH

Post by LilH »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to clear something up...there are 14 pounds in a stone (and 16 ounces in a pound). This means that at 260 lbs you weigh about 18 and a half stone.

Hope this helps!

LilH :)
teapot53

Post by teapot53 »

Well done im an ex smoker myself and am currently on run 3 week 4!! It will get easier keep ut up!
Kentiapalm

Post by Kentiapalm »

Congratulations on stopping smoking!!
I too am an exsmoker and have used exercise to replace this, that was 6 months ago! Ive just finished week one of this programme, and so far im enjoying it.
Sladonians

Post by Sladonians »

Hi

Well done on quitting. It's about 10 years since I quit now, used to be a heavy smoker.

You will be absolutely fine. I started 7 weeks ago and couldn't do a 1 minute run without severe pain and puffing.

Nearly 7 weeks on I am about to do w6 r3 today a have managed all the runs before without too much bother.

If I can do it anyone can.

Good for you :0)
HealthyMel

Post by HealthyMel »

Hey- congrats on the quiting the smoking!!!!

This is a GREAT program to ease you lungs into running after smoking.

I quit smoking 8 years ago and was amaized the first time i did this program and actually ran for 15 minutes straight.

Good luck on the wight loss! Your on the right track!