Treadmill v Outdoors

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
barneyhairball

Re: Treadmill v Outdoors

Post by barneyhairball »

Wind is a problem! Where I live I'm either surrounded by a council estate or lonely country roads - strange but true. Maybe when I'm not panting like a rabid dog I'll hit the busy roads, but for the present I'll run on the the lanes. One side of me has fields where I swear to God (and maybe he's the instigator), the wind starts up just to make things hard. I wish it would change direction according to the direction I am running. When I was doing 5 to 8 mins runs, the road home covered these times, and the wind was horrendous. People in cars cannot see it; I only hoped they could see my hair blowing in the wind; or, they would think I was running so fast my hair had to flow behing me (not!). It's even difficult with the wind behind me 'cos it pushes your stride out of kilter.
jessica08

Post by jessica08 »

do you have any used treadmill? I want to have one.
“Housework is a treadmill from futility to oblivion with stop-offs at tedium and counter productivity.”

Buy Treadmill
alec

Post by alec »

I have done all of my runs on a treadmill as where I live it is 20 C first thing in the morning and during summer it hits 40 while you are still having your cornflakes!

The biggest challenge for me is the boredom and the 'clock watching' but I know just pop a TV show on the iPad and it seems to go much faster. I might try a run 'outside' before it gets too hot as there is a new track just down the road that runs by the ocean.
starknut

Post by starknut »

Alec, definitely try running outdoors. Nothing feels better than getting out there in the fresh air. That track near the ocean sounds like it will be fantastic! Imagine the nice sea breeze!
Runkat

Post by Runkat »

I run outside, i just like the fresh air and feeling of it...some days its a struggle with wind and rain etc but you dont half feel amazing afterwards....dont think I would get the same feeling indoors.