Treadmill v Outdoors

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Chiggy

Treadmill v Outdoors

Post by Chiggy »

I'm just about to start week 6 and am amazed that I've kept up with the programme this far ! I've been running indoors on my treadmill as I've just felt too embarrassed to attempt any of the runs " in public" . Someone told me that running on a treadmill is much easier than running outdoors, so my question to anyone is ... Hopefully when I've finished and I feel confident in going outdoors running , should I start the programme again and if so at what week ?
Wdk1313

Re: Treadmill v Outdoors

Post by Wdk1313 »

Week 6? Good for you! I'm only in week #2 of week #1 lol.
I run outdoors and I find it very rewarding. I've never "ran" on a treadmill (I personally would be more embarrassed to do that than outside). Anyways, I live in the mountains and so the terrain is not at all flat- maybe this is why people think the treadmill's easier?
Running outside is fun and inspiring, especially on bright sunny days, and is not something to be embarrassed about. Fellow runners will nod or smile at you, acknowledging that you're a part of some secret running brotherhood. Even non-runners smile at you, often enviously; today for instance, an older couple walking gave me a thumbs up and said "go girl." So go ahead and give outdoor running a try, you may find you like it better. As for any program adjustments, I have no clue. I'm thinking that depends on the terrain you will be running.
Pagandog

Post by Pagandog »

I cant imagine keeping my motivation up indoors but whereever you run I think all that matters is your are doing something !!!! physical. If it is safer indoors go for it. :D
Sladonians

Post by Sladonians »

I've been doing all my training indoors until yesterday week 7 run 2.

Previously using a treadmill at the gym with it set at 1.5 incline and speed of 9.5kph.

Yesterday I did my first ever outdoor run on slightly undulating road route and found it surprisingly doable. Had a fantastic run and felt almost liberated running in the fresh air. It is amazing the difference it made taking gulps of fresh air into my lungs instead of stale air-conditioned air inside the gym.

Only thing I found was that I had to concentrate on keeping a regular pace as it was very easy to get faster an faster, so I used the Nike+ app on my iPhone calling out my pace every 0.5 km. Only had to walk once going up a steep hill but that was only for about a minute.

Other thing is make sure you warm up and stretch properly as I didn't and now have an inflamed achillies tendon.

Actually managed to go the whole 5k yesterday in 35 minutes.

Go for it if you can, I am never running indoors again.
Chiggy

Post by Chiggy »

Thanks guys, will post if I ever pluck up courage to get outdoors :)
barneyhairball

Post by barneyhairball »

I'm up to the 20 min runs - outdoors. In 3 wks I'm on a wk's cruise, so will be in the gym. I'd like to go outside but everyone would get in the way - or would I get in theirs? And, I'd have to do it late at night or before breaky. Guess I'll have to try the treadmill. It's a bit of an older persons cruise, and the last time I was on the ship the gym was the most empty room! I didn't jog then though. Unfortunately, it won't be easy to fit it in - but I don't want to stop. In the morning it will be the morning after the night before. In the day I'll have to go to the gym, but then I'll be too busy to do this. At 5 pm I'll be getting ready to go to the 'pub'. At 8 pm I'll be eating my tea. At 11 pm I'll be eating my supper. Any idea where I can gain an hour? I have no intention of reverting back a few wks so I'll have to think of something. Also, I don't care who sees me running like a mad woman. It must be something to do with pushing 49! Also, being attached to my iPhone means I'm not really attached to the outside world. It's like taking my glasses off (49 and wears glasses!), I don't feel like anyone can see me! Only glasses wearers would know what I mean! And, 'cos I can't hear anything whilst running, I can't hear myself panting like a strangled dog; only passers-by can, and then they give me a wide berth. They are more afraid of me than I am embarrassed about being seen! :x
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) Have a lovely cruise! I think you should get out and run round and round the deck first thing, just because that sounds like a lovely touch of eccentricity :-)

Happy running,
Benjohn
PMJW

Post by PMJW »

I've been doing all my training indoors mainly because the weather was so dreadful when I started the programme and secondly much like many others, I didn't feel a runner/jogger at nearly 19st when I started the course, I feel I would have looked like Mr. Blobby running outside.
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1 ... obby.shtml)

I am currently on Week 9 and yesterday evening completed Run 2 on a treadmill, after reading many of the comments on the Forum I am going to run outside again but not until I complete Run 3. Although, I am still not a typical runner shape I am sure I can get there in a few millenia.

I have already downloaded Run Keeper Pro to my iPhone but was wondering should I redo from week 6/7 outside before I just go for a 30/40 min outdoor run? Decisions, decisions.

HELP!!
Belcra

Post by Belcra »

Hi,

I used to always fing the treadmill easier but started this program outdoors. The weather was so bad the other day I did W6D3 on the treadmill and found it very tough - and long. I also sweated a lot more. Today I was back outside and a bit nervous of the 25 mins in W7D1. However it was so much easier than on the treadmill though I was definitly going a slower place. I find it easier outside now as when finding it tough I tell myself that I'll just run to a certain point not too far away and then pick a new point when I get there. I didn't turn around at the halfway point as I wanted to keep going to a bend in the road so when I did turn around and got to the end of 25 mins I wasn't at the start point - so I kept running and did 28 mins running altogether. I felt like I could have even gone further - very different to being on the treadmill when I couldn't wait to get off it.

I think when you do try outside just start at a really slow pace, barely faster than walking and aim for the time running rather than speed. Once you've done it the first time you'll know then if you need to drop back a few weeks. I always thought running outside was harder because the ground wasn't moving underneath you but just slow down!

Put on Runkeeper and then Get Running together. It's great to see your track afterwards.

Best of luck.
ajs34

Post by ajs34 »

I have ran both inside and out and find running outside slightly harder. It seems to be very windy where I live and I constitly have to run aginst it. That being said I would rather run outside it just feels great to be in the fresh air. Keep up the great work.