obese runners

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
TwinMama

Re: obese runners

Post by TwinMama »

Hi everyone! I am new to the program (just finished run 2 of Week 1 yesterday) and I am looking to get into shape and lose about 60lbs. I am really excited about getting started and I'm glad I found this forum so I can share my progress and challenges with others in the same boat. I never imagined that the first couple weeks would be easy, considering how heavy and out of shape I am, but it is quite challenging just getting through without stopping!! As I've posted elsewhere on this forum, it seems inconceivable that I'll run 5K without walking when running for 8 minutes (not even consecutively) is so hard. I am running whilst pushing my 8.5 month old twins in a jogging stroller so I know that adds a bit of difficulty but surely not that much!! I unfortunately just don't have the time to myself to get out for a run alone 3x a week. I also thought that if I started the program pushing the double stroller I'd get used to it by the end of the program and maybe when I occasionally have the chance to run alone it might actually seem "easier"!! :roll: We'll see.
brunsjk

Post by brunsjk »

welcome twinmama. Glad you found us. I will be doing my first 5k tomorrow. hoping to jog/walk and finish under 50 minutes. I am a bit nervous....will let you know how it goes.
Aaron1978

Post by Aaron1978 »

Hi all I have just started my first run yesterday. Found it very hard as I have previously broke my leg and since then have put 4 stone of weight on so the impact training really hurt. Although I have always tried to stay relatively fit by using cross trainer and upper body work nothing seems to lose any of the body weight I have gained so I will have to work through the pain barrier with my leg as I have decided that running is the only option along with healthy eating that I will ever shed this excess weight. Will keep you updated with how I get on
brunsjk

Post by brunsjk »

How is everyone doing? Ran my 5k in July--it was so great. Stopped running consistently after that and weight loss stopped. Back to running again 5.0 on the treadmill at 0.5 incline. Feels good.
nellysue

Post by nellysue »

I've just done my first run this morning! The first in many years. I didn't think I would manage it as I'm at least two stone overweight and at 54 age isn't on my side! I've also been nursing a swollen ankle for about six weeks so wasn't sure I should even attempt it. But I feel great! It was quite hard in the middle but the little voice kept me going. It even poured down half way through but I ran under the trees (in the park). I think this is a great app and I feel really proud that I've done my first run! By the way my ankle hurt a bit but hasn't swollen up like it has been doing so I can only assume the circulation has helped :D
Moveahill

Post by Moveahill »

I am athletic but not thin by an means. I have always been the big kid who plays sports which doesn't always feel good. But when I saw this forum I had to say something important. NOBODY should feel embarassed when you go out running! You are trying to get fit so nobody has the right to judge that. I have also worried about the whole runnig then stopping to walk but have just decided that I wouldn't judge somebody for stopping so I shouldn't worry about people judging me. You are all working and you should al be sooooo proud of yourselves! I have always been jealous of people who just went out on runs so if this program can get me to run for 30 minutes straight I don't care who is watching! This program is the first step for me and I am ready to continue and finish like a pro!