obese runners

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
brunsjk

obese runners

Post by brunsjk »

anyone here obese? I am in the morbidly obese category. Started this running program today. I did the couch to 5k last year and did complete it. ran 3.1 miles last June in about 45 minutes. Have been exercising on the treadmill on and off since then but nothing consistent. Most runners are rail thin so I feel a little awkward running (jogging) outside which is why I bought the treadmill.
LoeRennt

Re: obese runners

Post by LoeRennt »

I'm not morbidly obese, but more sort of normal to nomally obese...well let's say I'm not stick thin! LOL
So I probably look a bit odd in running gear, but you know what...I'm getting physically stronger and that's what this is about! And I don't know how the wheather is where you live, but it is so lovely over here at the moment that there is nothing nicer for my spirit than to be running outside.

But that's not what I am posting for...you are my hero! You already completed it before and ran the 5k in 45 minutes!! Wow! That is my end goal some day. It is so encouraging to read that people have done the program and have managed to actually complete it.

Is it easier doing this the second time around, or is it just as daunting?
brunsjk

Post by brunsjk »

actually much easier doing this the second time. Because I still did exercise, though not consistently, since i last did the couch to 5k i am in better shape. I love to run. It makes me feel so light and free if that makes sense. Most people are shocked when i tell them my weight or that i am in the morbidly obese category. my doc of course encourages me to lose weight and it has been a struggle since I was eight, but she is happy that I do exercise. Now I just need to lose the weight. Have started Weight watchers also. I know that i will enjoy running even more when i weigh less. thanks for the support.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hello, like you I am very overweight. I too had a certain level of fitness as I cycled but I've never benn a runner, always hated it... But I started the prog about 5 weeks ago and I love it. I run outside, I run in the woods though so I do see people but not that many really. I am less worried about people seeing me run than I am them seeing me stop and walk!! Lol. I try to think along the lines of most of the people I see are either not running themselves .. So who cares what they think... And the runners I've come across just seem to acknowledge that I'm a runner.... If people ever make smart remarks just remember, they would anyway... That's them... Not you:) I think you should just be proud and remember , you can already probably run for longer than they can! ;)
Cantrunatall

Post by Cantrunatall »

Hi I am very overweight. I have just started week 4 and I am very motivated to continue. However I am concerned about the impact on my knees. They did twinge at the end of this run but feel okay ish now and I am aware that I pronate badly but do have inserts in
my trainers. I intend to lose weight but probably not overnight as would be required. Do you think my knees are going to suffer too much or do you have to be running for years to do permanant damage ( by which time I will be skinny)?
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi Cantrunatall !!!!!!!!! ( Love the nickname!!lol)

I am not one to give advice - only being in week 6 as of tomorrow myself!! nor am I a doc...but try running off road.....it is so much kinder to your knees. I get no pain at all - apart from when i slip over in the mud!!! ;)

I'd go check with the Doc if you are concerned though, it would be a shame to injure yourself now you have started and are doing so well :)

Dawn
Cantrunatall

Post by Cantrunatall »

Thank you Dawn.that's good advice. At the moment I am running along the seafront in the dark and feel that to seek out grass would lead me to more secluded places and less sure underfoot. The beach is stoney unfortunately. But as it gets lighter in the evenings I'll try the park maybe. Feels good to be out there with the normal people that last 5 mins was really hard. May end up repeating this week but am determined not to give up. Thanks again and good luck this week x :D
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Stoney beach? You sound like you live near me! ;). I would imagin that could be a pretty harsh running surface... A bit unsteady? The dark is an issue... I run early morning and had a couple of dark runs.. But at least I have the dogs with me... Not that they would protect me;). Good luck anyway and keep in touch ;)
brunsjk

Post by brunsjk »

glad i am not alone. was afraid i might get blasted. finishing week 2 today. i feel great. thanks for the support
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

How's everyone doing? ;) I have been sick for a few days now and I'm unable to run (chest infection) gutted! I really want to get back out ther!!! ;(