Running after a break

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
DebWeb

Running after a break

Post by DebWeb »

Any advice! I'm going to have to take a break from running for approximately 3/4 mtgs at the end of wk6. I would like to resume running but is better to start from wk1 or can you start a couple wks in say wks2 or3?
Debbie
matt

Re: Running after a break

Post by matt »

Hi Debbie,

Everybody's different! But -- I'd say play it safe and go out for a week 1 run, and see how it feels. The last thing you want is to put yourself off by trying to do too much when you come back to running, and being disappointed. Far better to go out for a week 1 run and cheer yourself up if it turns out to be easier than you thought :) If it doesn't even feel like work, you could skip ahead to week two for the next run, and see how that feels.

Incidentally, for anyone who's not noticed, it's quite easy in Get Running to go back a few weeks. You just touch and drag the "progress path" left and right from the main screen in Get Running, then tap whichever week you want to do. Then when you hit the Run! button, that's the run that "plays".
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)