Outside V Treadmill

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dawn

Outside V Treadmill

Post by Dawn »

Sorry - I started this in another thread - so sorry for duplication!

I see lots of discussion about how hard it is to transition to the outside from a treadmill but nothing about going the other way? I joined a gym and although I don't want to run inside really - I guess sometimes it would be good to have the option (eventually) - but I am not sure about the treadmill...

Is it hard to get used to once you run outside? I imagin that you can go faster on it so I am worried that i will be too slow for it? Any thoughts anyone???

Thanks

Dawn
KJE76

Re: Outside V Treadmill

Post by KJE76 »

Hi

In my experience, it can be easier running on the treadmill because you don't have the weather as an extra challenge (whether warm/cold, wet/windy has an impact). It also forces you to keep a certain pace, but you can always slow the speed if you feel you are struggling. I find having a read-out of distance travelled and calories burned quite motivating too! I can also become quite competitve with myself trying to out-do my last run. Depending on your gym the entertainment or lack of can be a help/hindrance. Personally, I have grown to love the 'being outdoors' aspect of running, so unless its pelting down, I prefer road running.

Someone once told me that you need to put the 'incline' on a treadmill to at least 1.0 to recreate the conditions of running on the road.

Give the treadmill a go though, but build up slowly, is my advice.

Let us know what you think.
jessicaboykin

Post by jessicaboykin »

I've never ran on a treadmill in my life. I kinda want to give it a try now just to see if I like it, but at the gym on my campus there is literally a wait list to use them in the evenings after work. Fortunately we have a lovely fitness trail right in front of the rec center/gym, and that's where I run. I love being outdoors, and the weather here in Mississippi has been glorious these last few weeks. The pollen was really bad one day, though. There's also an indoor circular track that I plan on using when it turns cold again.

Another thing is I've had so many people say to not worry about pace right now since I am so new to running. If I ran on a treadmill I would probably be preoccupied with my pace.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Yes - I have no real desire to run on the treadmill but I was just thinking sometimes it will be easier, Somedays - I can't even walk the route I run it's so slippy with mud.... lol and of course then there was all the snow we had this winter..... I don't want to run on the road either....fussy me :) Just heard the gym i joined opens at the end of June - - so maybe by then I will give it a go!! ;)
gagalags

Post by gagalags »

I attempted run W5R3 last night and am feeling very disheartened. I have always run on the treadmill before, but am doing a 5K sponsored run next month and thought that I should get outside for a bit. It was much more difficult, and I did not make the twenty minutes at all! Any tips on getting used to running outside? Should I move on to week 6, or should I try to do the last one again?
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

I am sure someone more experienced will chip in with running/ training advice .....but if I were you - I would try not to be hard on myself. Every things I have ever read talks about hard the transition is to outside. I have only ever run outside so i don't know. I guess tru to remember how you have progressed through the program. You'll make progress outside too :)

Good luck
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

W5D3 is a tough run for everyone, I think. It's a big move up. Usually, people are ready for it, but I think if you change from indoor to outdoor running, that is a huge change that your body will probably not have built up to yet. I hope that helps you not to feel disheartened :-) As Dawn says, remember that you're doing fantastically well, and you're running much further and longer than you did in week 1!

Another thing to remember outside is that you don't have the treadmill setting a pace for you. For me, finding a good pace was a really big part of starting to run, and it'll take you a while to learn to do that yourself. Before you learn, it's very easy to run too fast and exhaust yourself!

My advice would be to try to run outside for a while, if that is practical. I think I would begin week 5 again, and see how it goes. Make sure you give yourself a measured challenge that you can meet, not something that will knock you down!

If you can't run outside, then you could try to raise the incline on your treadmill a little.

Alternatively, finish off the training in the gym and get really comfy with treadmill running, and then when you have, get outside and cross over.

:-) What ever you do, please don't let it be a setback and put you off! Remember you're doing really well!
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

Theres something much simpler at play here:

While your legs will be moving while you run outdoors, and as well as spending time on the treadmill. You are actually using different muscle groups while doing each type of exercise. Think about it, when you run you need a lot of strength to push and pull your legs, so you get the forwards movement. Where as on the treadmill, all you really need is strength to lift your legs and move them forwards, as soon as your foot touches the belt, the treadmill moves your leg back for you, so you are missing out on the most important part of the legs cycle.

The net result is the power forward part of your step, that uses the biggest muscles in your leg is not as strong when you use the treadmill. Then there's the fact the world is not flat, its actually up and down, I know you can do gradients on treadmills, but going up a steady incline on a treadmill will always be easier than when actually running the real thing, as you actually have to push your body forward.

Now there is another part that is lost when running on a treadmill. The world is not flat, or smooth. To cope with this our ankles and knees become shock absorbers by twisting and bending to keep us upright. This requites flexible tendons and muscles, something that running will build up, as we cover uneven ground. But on the tread mill you never build up the flexibility to cope with uneven ground.

Don't get me wrong the treadmill is great for building up cardio, and improving fitness whilst watching Jeremy Kyle. But if your plan is to actually do the 5K part of C25K then by using a treadmill you'll not be preparing properly to cover any kind of distance.