Hello - My First Day

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
mattym

Hello - My First Day

Post by mattym »

Howdy folks.

So I work in IT, play computer games and was that kid at school who tried to blend into the walls during PE. My metabolism and terrible diet has served me well for many year keeping me looking like I might be fit enough to walk half amile without expiring, but then my 30s hit and my middle started spreading out and I started standing still on escalators so I wasnt out of breath when I reached the top.

So I packed in smoking in january (that was fun :) and now I have this app. I also have a treadmill, like a few people I am too self conscious about my incredible levels on unfitness to run outside and the idea of me in a gym is just preposterous.

Anyway I have just survived week 1 run 1, the hardest part was actually the 5 minute cooldown because the back of my legs hurt (that and walking into a doorframe just after getting off the treadmill because I couldnt tell if I was moving or not).

Thanks for making the app, if it can get me running 5k I will be chuffed to bits.

Also - quick question - the treadmill tells me how fast im going, what speed is a "walk" a "brisk walk" and a "run"?
benjohn

Re: Hello - My First Day

Post by benjohn »

Hi Matty M.

Well done getting started. That's probably the hardest part :-)

There aren't any specific speeds that are "right". Helpful, huh?

Part of starting to run is finding the envelope you are comfortable inside. Later on you can push that out, but at this stage it doesn't matter too much. The important thing now is to find out what you are comfortable with, because it's you that is starting to run, not someone else. Any predefined number is likely to be either too low (and you'll slack off), or too high, and you'll struggle too much and get put off. So, find that pace that you enjoy and that doesn't stretch you more than you are comfortable with.

Another quick point, if you find that you don't feel ready to move on to the next week at any time, then don't. Just do some more runs of the current week that you are comfortable with. The important thing is that you are running now, and you are getting fitter. Taking a few more weeks over getting to the fairly arbitrary (but nice and round) goal of running half an hour is no big shake!

Well done again, happy running,
Benjohn
Alex20

Post by Alex20 »

Great :) Keep it up! Im up to week 4 and Im loving it.
babez007

Post by babez007 »

Hi Matty!

Just wanted to say hello as it was my first day as well :D

We both survived, lol
Shanna :)
tl302

Post by tl302 »

Well done Matty. Congrats on getting started.
mattym

Post by mattym »

Run two done - back of my legs hurt, as do my feet and my forehead (doorframe again) but I made it.

The app has already paid for itself today, I actually saw the same sort of plan on the internet where you could print it out and then just use a watch or something to know when to run or walk or go home but to be honest there were times today when if I had been trying to it like that I would have given up. Theres something about looking at the countdown saying only 30 seconds or whatever and you can have a walk for a bit that just keeps you going. Even the fact it tricks you into walking pretty fast is helpful just to get you through. (Yeah that is how unfit I am, previously "warm up stretches" were only conducted when I wanted something from the bottom shelf of the fridge)
Alex20

Post by Alex20 »

Try your best to stick with it :) Everybody here supports you.
Sue

Post by Sue »

It's good but I do have a problem with an ankle hurting. Any suggestions. Should I push on with it and hopefully it will improve with each run. I have had it a number of weeks and using volterol on it, but it hasn't gone away
LxWx

Post by LxWx »

Hi it's my first week too and I had to laugh at this because I thought you were talking about ne ... Minus the smoking part. Keep up the great work and I look forward to your next update. Here's to us first timers x
mattym

Post by mattym »

Well week 2 run 1 is bagged and tagged. My left ankle still hurts iin the last 30 seconds of each run which the internet says is one of three things - lactic acid build up which will be alleviated as I get fitter and my body gets better at delivering oxygen, tendon and muscle pain from not warming up properly (I stretch for 2-3 minutes before starting the 5 minute warm up walk) or scurvy.

So I'm off to eat some lemons.

I have at least stopped banging my head after getting off the treadmill.