Hello - My First Day

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
mattym

Re: Hello - My First Day

Post by mattym »

Hi,

I have been ill and now I'm out of schedule. I ended up taking a break between when I should have started week 4 and when I did, so had pretty much a week off including the rest. If anything when I finally felt well again to run (Saturday) I found the first three runs (3 and 5 and 3 minutes) pretty easy going. The fourth absolutely killed me but I guess its meant to. Same today and I had my treadmill turned up a little higher.

I remember clearly reading about all the people reticent about the infamous week 5 (which I will henceforth refer to as HELLWEEK, note and fear the capitals) when I started and thinking how far off I was, but hey its next week!
mattym

Post by mattym »

Well I just did week 5 run 2 which I believe was meant to be 8 mins then 2 resting then 8 mins, I lost my iphone so had to do it by memory :( Its way worse when you have to keep checking a watch with no countdown and prompts. Assuming I was right at least I got it done.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Matty,

I think you did get that right. Well done! Sorry to hear that you lost your phone :-( You can find the plan online here: Cool running 5k plan

Cheers,
Benjohn
mattym

Post by mattym »

I got a new phone and failed miserably at the 20 minute run last night, so I'm going to restart from the start of week 5 again. My issue has been pain in my lower legs, I'm not getting out of breath or anything,

I have been watching youtube vids and reading about "ChiRunning" which seems to be running with the correct posture and landing on the right part of your foot with it under you instead of in front. I'm gonna try to correct myself and see if it helps.
matt

Post by matt »

mattym wrote:I have been watching youtube vids and reading about "ChiRunning" which seems to be running with the correct posture and landing on the right part of your foot with it under you instead of in front. I'm gonna try to correct myself and see if it helps.
The owner of my local deli -- who's also a runner -- recommended that to me a few weeks ago. He said the book was good, for anyone who's not so into videos, but I've not bought it yet. There's already too much on my "incoming" shelf!

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Tarheelrunner

Post by Tarheelrunner »

So I started Couch to 5K yesterday (Memorial Day) I have NEVER run in my life! I survived! And it wasn't so bad. I have made a goal to run in a 5k in Oct. and hopefully by next May (for my 50th b-day) I would like to run in a 10k. I would appreciate any advice & support you have to offer :D
mattym

Post by mattym »

Well I finally did week 5 run 3 today and didnt get the usualt foot and lower leg pain. I have just been re-running the run 2 for couple of weeks while trying to alter how I run and it seems to have worked.