Trouble getting past week 8

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
pingu

Trouble getting past week 8

Post by pingu »

Hi guys,

I started the get running program about 2 months ago. Initially, I found it really hard, but after the 3rd week I really began to enjoy it. When I ran my first 20 minutes, I was elated! But now it seems that I've come to a complete block - mental and, it seems, physical. I did week 7 with the 25 minute runs, and while I found it really hard, I still completed each run.

But now that I'm up to week 8, I can't even run for 20 minutes!! I did have a couple of weeks off between week 7 and week 8 because we were away on holiday. I tried to run during the holiday, but found that I could barely make the 15 minute mark, and as it stands, that's where I am now. I do really want to finish the program, though, so from tomorrow I think that I will go back and repeat week 6 and go from there.

Did anyone else have similar humps, and is there any advice that anyone would like to share - I would really appreciate it. It makes me feel quite disappointed in myself, I feel like I've reached my capabilities and perhaps it's as far as I can go, but I am adament to keep trying.
benjohn

Re: Trouble getting past week 8

Post by benjohn »

I'm very sure that you have not reached any kind of limitation, do not fear :-) I found that at the end, I did a few extra runs in some weeks. If you have some time off, don't feel that you have to continue where you took the pause. In fact, you should never feel with the Couch to 5k program that you've got to work through at the "three runs in the week and then move on" pace. Get Running makes it very easy for you to go back (or forwards). This was done because you should feel in control and able to set the pace that things move along at.

So, my advice, go back to the first run of week six and see how things go from there. Get back in to enjoying your running and being able to do it without a problem, and when you're ready, move on a step. You're doing absolutely superbly, and you'll be doing even better soon. Just take it easy on yourself and let your body get back in to things.

:-) I hope that helps and you'll get back in your shoes and enjoy a run. Please let me know how it goes!

Best regards,
Benjohn