Week 5 thoughts.

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Alex20

Week 5 thoughts.

Post by Alex20 »

Hey everyone.

Ive been following my fellow runners on here a lot lately, and many people see week 5 as an important week in the program. Having gone into this as unfit as anybody I decided to try put some of my thoughts to paper as I progress through this week for my own benefit and the people still heading to this point.

Run 1 week 5

On running days I generally try to eat some fruit, on that particular day I ate two bananas in the morning, one of which I used to make a smoothie. I find I generally run better later in the day with some food in my system. (Around noon usually works for me) . The walking went as one might expect, and right as I was heading into the park.
The first 5 minutes actually went rather well, I find that keeping a positive mindset is extremely important, I even mutter "you can do this, you can do this" to myself, I find that it definately helps me. The second one went well too, although I did make a point of slowing down as I went along but I did keep a good pace. The third one was where it was personally interesting for me, I kept "hearing" something in me saying "you cant do this, you cant do this" but I tried to stick with it and repeat that mantra to myself. "you can do this, you can do this" In the last 45 seconds I noticed a twig on the road, I knew by that point that I would make it and a I kicked it off the road feeling very tough :) I was very proud when I finished it, I felt absolutely great.

Ill write more tomorrow when I do run 2

Happy Running!
Alex20

Re: Week 5 thoughts.

Post by Alex20 »

Run 2.

Well I did run 2 today, which consists of two 8 minute runs and 5 minutes of walking in between. I got up a little late today and I ended up having just eaten a banana and a glass of milk. The walk was uneventful and I ran with a decent pace, one thing that I thought was interesting was again a mindset thing, I find that if I dont think too much about running I do a lot better, and that was very prevaltent for about thirty seconds today where I was almost in a trance, when I got out of it I even thought "no no I want to go back in that state" but I unfortunately didnt. I ended up making it through it though, the 5 minute walk was extremely welcome, one advice I can give though is after this run you really should try resting asap. I had to walk for an extended time and my calves kinda hurt now but it will be okay.

Happy Running!
Bhllal

Post by Bhllal »

I just did week 5 run 1 today and I did better than I thought. I was scared of the long runs but they aren't that bad. There wasn't alot if rest time between today's runs so that prepares you for what is coming.
Bhllal

Post by Bhllal »

Just finished run two of week five. I did great with the two 8 minute runs and didn't get worn out. I actually didn't think that I would be able to do it when I first saw the plan before I got to this point. It is hard to believe that the plan works you up to this point without realizing that your gaining endurance.
adinnin

Post by adinnin »

So how did run 3 go ?

I do mine on Saturday. A little bit apprehensive. Came on here for some support

Alex
Alex20

Post by Alex20 »

It actually went remarkably well, I felt very proud of myself after finishing it. Keep yourself paced and put on some nice music and you will be fine.
Jambros

Post by Jambros »

Hi all, I agree week 5 feels like a clear pinch point to me I had to repeat run 3 in week 5 today this is the first time I have repeated any so far, but I managed it this morning I made sure I ate a banana about 45 mins before setting off and this really seemed to help
Alex20

Post by Alex20 »

How did you do Alex?
AliM

Post by AliM »

I did Week 5 run 1 yesterday. It went quite well considering that week 4 run 3 saw me nearly being sick. I have only found my rhythmn once or twice and had been hoping it was going to get easier sooner! Week 5 feels intimidating. Will do run 2 tomorrow and hopefor the best. Can't imagine 20 minutes!!