Running Blogs

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
caffrin

Re: Running Blogs

Post by caffrin »

Hi I just completed day 3 of week 1 and its going well so far. I am a couch potato in reality and I need to lose 42lbs so to motivate me I am writing a blog at http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com It would be great to get some feedback about my posts. Happy running :D
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

Just started a blog to chart my progress on both Get Running (week 4 starts tomorrow morning) and general weight loss (2st 5lbs in the last 2 months) it's at http://runningsam.wordpress.com/. I'd love peoples thoughts and comments :)
Kelly Sharp

Confessions of a virgin half marathon runner

Post by Kelly Sharp »

Hello everyone
I am a runner, writer and chocolate eating enthusiast. After enjoying a wonderful, mutually fulfilling relationship with my sofa for the past 10 years, I thought that I should do some exercise. Being naturally unfit, a bit wobbly around the bottom and a touch on the asthmatic side, I natrually selected long distance running as that exercise. Lycra doesn't suit me, nor does my baseball cap (which has holes in- these are apparently for ventilation but I think that the people at NIKE just made it for a laugh). After doing my first ever 5K back in June, I got a little over-excited and signed up to a half marathon. And so the misery/ excrutiating pain began (I love it really.)
Follow me on http://kelly-sharp.blogspot.com/ I am in the process of creating some 'mental' games that you can play whilst running (to stop you going mental) so any idea's are welcome!
Happy times x
Kelly Sharp

Re: Extreme pedestrian chicken

Post by Kelly Sharp »

Check out my latest blog: Extreme pedestrian chicken on my BLOG http://kelly-sharp.blogspot.com/
Born to Plod

Post by Born to Plod »

Hi all.

I'm Jay, a sloooow but enthusiastic runner from Northants in the UK. New to the site so thought I'd kick things off by linking to my running blog: http://www.borntoplod.wordpress.com

It's TECHNICALLY about running, but I do go off on a tangent sometimes so please bear with me :)

Always glad to receive comments and new subscribers.

Anyway, it said somewhere that I should add a raster, so I'll paste a copy of the latest blog post and then I'm off to explore the forum.

Bye guys/gals

J
Just a quick update on my first run since kneegate and the subsequent physio session…

Five days without any running had felt more like five months, and I was itching to get the miles flowing under my feet again. If I’m honest I hadn’t completely abstained, having snuck in a cheeky bleep test at the end of last week while nobody was looking, but that was only for a few minutes and it was for research purposes, so doesn’t count.

After a slow day at work I decided to blow off some steam by making a detour to Stanwick Lakes for a gentle half hour plod. As keen as I was to rekindle my mucky little affair with running, I was still nervous as hell. What if my knee went twang again? Worse still, what if it didn’t quite go twang, but just ached enough to allow me to run, but under a perpetual cloud of potential twanginess. Was this to be my running life from now on? For every run to be tinged with fear, just because of… well, not even a proper injury – it’s not as if I was rolling around on the floor with half a femur poking through my leg. I was being taunted by a bloody pseudo-injury.

One of the things I’ve always loved about running is that little bit of quiet magic that sometimes happens. No fanfares or turning people into ducks, but just enough to take something that’s been bothering you all day and making it disappear in a puff of smoke the second you lace up your running shoes.

And that’s what happened. The second I broke into a gentle loping stride all thoughts of knees and their associated mischief were replaced by clear skies and the reassuring crunch of the gritty bridle path underfoot.

It’s a wonderfully serene image when I picture it in my mind, but the reality of it is that if someone was to show me footage of those first few blissful steps I’d most likely mistake it at first glance for a film about a fat man being chased by bees.

But a run is a run, and this was a good one. Short, but good. I was at least being sensible enough to start off with a modest distance, planning to build myself up gently over the next week or two. Unfortunately I’d left my Garmin at home, and the running app on my phone didn’t seem to want to play, so for the first time in ages I was flying blind. I’m a bit of a stats fiend when it comes to running, and a run without GPS for me is like a giant cake without a stripper. Luckily all feelings of sadness and longing were almost instantly replaced by ones of fear, as I turned a corner to see a swan blocking my path ahead. A swan the size of a tractor.

Okay, so not actually the size of a tractor, but it certainly had presence. Maybe a small tractor. Like the Time Bandits might drive if they’d turned their back on a life of adventure and instead invested in a few acres of nice arable land. Obviously, there’d still be some adventure, especially if one of them got lost in the wheat field due to his small stature, which is why from that point on they adopted the practice of wearing really tall brightly coloured hats whenever they ventured outside.

Um… I’ve done it again haven’t I?

The swan! Yes, that’s where I’d got to. Swans are natures “hoodies”. Like hoodies, they rarely attack, preferring to just hang around being menacing with their luxuriant white plumage and impressive wingspan. Okay, so the metaphor might not quite stretch, but my point is, the bloody thing was looking at me with its beady swan eyes, weighing me up. “Yeah, I reckon I could take you on sunshine. We both know I could peck your spleen out in one go. There’s a lot of reed beds round here – they wouldn’t find you for months”. Faced by this evil duck bastard I adopted the first tactic that sprung to mind – feigned nonchalance, hoping that by sauntering by with a jaunty whistle and a faraway stare he’s mistake me for a cockney milkman or something. Okay, so probably not what Bear Grylls would have done in that situation*, and in hindsight I’m as confused as you are as to why I thought it’d work, but it did and I passed by unpecked before continuing on my run.

The rest of the run passed by without incident and in the end I ran for around 25 minutes around the lakes, which was pretty much all I was aiming for at this stage. On the advice of my physio I’d worn a gel insole in my right shoe to counter the overpronation while I went about building up my weak Vastus Medialis. I’d been a little bit concerned that by only wearing the insert in one shoe I was putting myself in danger of only being able to run round in little circles, and if I’m honest a part of me was slightly disappointed when that didn’t happen. As I came to the end of the run I was greeted by some old friends – tight quads, burning calves, all the usual running aches and pains that had been eclipsed recently in favour of the one big owie that was my knee. As sore as they were, I welcomed them back into my life, happy to have pains that were temporary, familiar and manageable. It’s like the difference between seeing the “low screenwash” warning light come on in your car and hearing a loud, mysterious shearing noise coming from somewhere vaguely engine-y.

So, three miles and not a hint of knee pain so far. I’ll be building up the mileage this week, although still keeping it below 10k for now. Wish me luck.

Oh, and for the record, I could have taken that swan.

*I’m not sure what he would have done, but I’m guessing it would have involved drinking his own wee.
Been running for nearly a year but still feel like a complete beginner. Which is good, because I run like one too. Anyway, I like to blog about my escapades. Feel free to point your interweb at www.borntoplod.wordpress.com
Born to Plod

Post by Born to Plod »

I've added a couple more posts this week. I'm sure I'll run out if steam for writing the bloody thing soon, but until then...

(linky below)
Been running for nearly a year but still feel like a complete beginner. Which is good, because I run like one too. Anyway, I like to blog about my escapades. Feel free to point your interweb at www.borntoplod.wordpress.com
SammyN

Post by SammyN »

Hi!
I've just started my running blog... it's not all about running, as i want to incorporate the rest of my life in to it as well - but running will be a strong theme and hopefully writing a blog will keep me motivated and not slack off and give up like I usually do when starting anything new! lol :lol:

http://samanthanaylor.blogspot.com/
Rayyloo

Post by Rayyloo »

How do I post my own topic on this thing?
ditto.tv

ditto is… putting its life in the hands of an app

Post by ditto.tv »

I’m not a runner – I see other people doing it, and think it looks like a good idea. I want to be fitter, healthier, more productive. The outside is always there isn’t it? You don’t need loads of kit, and there’s no hassle with planning, booking etc. Fancy a run: go for a run...

Check out the whole blog at http://www.ditto.tv/blog/2011/11/ditto- ... of-an-app/
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

http://ausgirlscouchto5ks.blogspot.com/

Please come and read my journey, I hope my experiences will help you along in yours! I would love to hear your ideas too in response to the posts :)