Wendy Can Run - Starting Week 1 & Need Buddies!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
WendyOH

Wendy Can Run - Starting Week 1 & Need Buddies!

Post by WendyOH »

Hi! My name is Wendy and I did my first "run" yesterday, Friday 29 April.
My goal is to run 5km by the end of the 9-week plan, about the end of June, which is just after my birthday.

I was wondering whether anyone else has started this week as it would be nice to have some encouragement and support along the way?

I have a 15-month old daughter, my first and am hoping to lose the last 10kg of baby weight that I am (still) carrying. I've also started going to the gym during my lunch hour on the three days I'm at work. Now to cut out the junk food!

I found the first run ok. I started thinking, oh this isn't too bad at all but by the 5th or so run, I was struggling and really waiting for her to call the last 10 seconds. BUT I am looking forward to doing it again tomorrow.

Hope to hear I have some "Get Running" buddies!
Wendy
Alex20

Re: Wendy Can Run - Starting Week 1 & Need Buddies!

Post by Alex20 »

Hey Wendy!

Great decision to start running, I am sure you will enjoy this program very much. Now I wish I could say I was just starting this app :) but I am at week 5 run 3 this sunday. But regardless of that Id like to be your buddy if you,d like that :) (I can use all the support I can get myself)

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Alex
WendyOH

Post by WendyOH »

Hi Alex! good luck with tour run today! I can't imagine running 20min at once but you have been working up to it so I'm sure you will be just fine.

I did my second run today. Not as easy as my first run for some reason. Although my husband decided to join me and kept comportent ongoing the prompts so maybe that put me off, haha! Slightly sore thighs, just above my knees when I finished so stretched a bit longer. Think I may be sore tomorrow!!

Also, I tracked from leaving to returning my house with Runkeeper. A total of 35 minutes, travelled 4.02 km and burnt 231 calories. Yay!
WendyOH

Post by WendyOH »

(just deleted a double post)
Last edited by WendyOH on Mon May 02, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mol2

Post by Mol2 »

Hi Wendy, I just started today did my first run :-). Didn't find it too bad felt it a but at run 7 but kept going and finished run 8 with 2
mins just to prove to myself I could!! Did extra walking though as wanted to be out of town when running in case I was seen ! So walked 20 min warm up then another 20 min cool down! Looking forward to next run tues! Would like to keep in touch with someone else starting off for support. Hope to talk soon
Alex20

Post by Alex20 »

Woooshhh. I didnt think I could do it :) But I did it! I actually ran for 20 full minutes without a break, thats actually the farthest ive ever ran I think :)

I think its great you got your husband to join you, does it help you? Hmmm Ive experienced some soreness too, Id try taking it easy and rest tomorrow :)

Keep it up :) you are doing great.
WendyOH

Post by WendyOH »

Alex, well done on your full 20 minute run!
And no, I think my husband distracts me more than anything, hahaha :)

Hi Mol2! You must be quite fit already to run 2 minutes. I'm hanging for the 10 second to go call.
My next run is Tuesday too and I'm looking forward to it. Although I will have to get up early and go before work, something I'm not very good at, getting out of bed.
Let me know how you go.

Well, I'm not sore today!! I really thought I would be but my extra stretching must have helped.
I'm not sure if on a rest day I'm not supposed to do anything but I'm feeling good so I'm going to the gym at lunch time today.
Mol2

Post by Mol2 »

Hi Wendy ye getting up early wouldn't be my strong point!! It seems so strange to see someone write " u must be quite fit already"... About me and I love it!! I don't think I've ever been fit and started to sort that out two years ago. I weighed 145 kg and walking upstairs was as much exercise as I could do . I have twin boys both veryactive and It was getting harder to keep up so I decided to lose weight. After sa year I was down 20 kg so felt able to join a fitness programme and started doing crossfit... U ever heard of it? It's fantastic it's like bootcamp but very addictive .I do that 3-4 times a week and also martial arts 3-4 times a week yet I still find running for any longer then 3-4 mins impossible .. I can do a 2 hour cardio kick boxing class but when running is mentioned I dread it :-( I think a lot of it's in my head... It's my final hurdle !! I've lost 43 kg to date and still want to lose 15 and I really think the running will help. So I'll keep going ... We'll def be able to do the 5 k at the end of this it will be worth the sacrifices . Sorry for rabbiting on but no one has ever referred to me as fit before and it made me smile :D
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

WendyOH wrote:Hi Alex! good luck with tour run today! I can't imagine running 20min at once but you have been working up to it so I'm sure you will be just fine.

I did my second run today. Not as easy as my first run for some reason. Although my husband decided to join me and kept comportent ongoing the prompts so maybe that put me off, haha! Slightly sore thighs, just above my knees when I finished so stretched a bit longer. Think I may be sore tomorrow!!

Also, I tracked from leaving to returning my house with Runkeeper. A total of 35 minutes, travelled 4.02 km and burnt 231 calories. Yay!
Hi wendy how are you doing runkeeper as well as get running? Are you taking two phones out with you? Just asking coz I would love to track with runkeeper as well. Thanks Catherine
Kerryann

Post by Kerryann »

Just started too....on Monday. Really looking forward to run 2 tomorrow. I ran with my daughter on Minday, she's only 6 but really liked it....and did better than me! My aim in to run our park run with my son every Saturday. 5k....so should be able to do it by July :-)