Running the distance

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Cantrunatall

Running the distance

Post by Cantrunatall »

So far on this great program I have reached the end of week 5. Never believed I could run for 20 mins without a break. My slight concern is the distance. I reckon I am averaging 100m per min so will not get to 5k in 30 mins . I am very overweight so I realise that running any faster would be hard but is everyone else managing to keep up the pace required for 5k in 1/2hour=166.67m per min :roll:
benjohn

Re: Running the distance

Post by benjohn »

Do not worry at all, you're definitely not alone, and jogging for 20 minutes is excellent!

My suggestion is to work through the rest of the programme and get yourself really comfortable running for time. When you're completely happy with a 30 minute session (and you will be), you can move on to some training to improve your pace. There are interval plans available for this too: you combine faster runs with slower jogging – like the C25K plan really, except you sprint and jog instead of jog and walk.

Well done on getting yourself moving!

Benjohn