Stitch

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Rafiki

Stitch

Post by Rafiki »

I am only on my second week although, I wish I had a choice to repeat the first week. My biggest problem is stitches, when I do my run at 5.30pm or when I do my run early before having any breakfast. What can I do to stop the stitches?
benjohn

Re: Stitch

Post by benjohn »

Hi,

First off – you can re-run the first week! Get Running just assumes that you do three runs in each week, and moves the little yellow running person along the journey for you. But! If you want to run a different week (week 1, say), just touch on week 1 on the journey to select it, and then press the Run button. You can keep on doing this until you are happy to stretch yourself out a little more with week 2.

I did a quick Google search and found some advice on stitches. They tell you how to avoid it, and what to do if you get one. I hope that helps! When I do an early run, I try to eat a _really_ light breakfast about 30 minutes before. Just a half banana, or a small bit of toast, or a grain bar – that kind of thing.

Well done dragging yourself from bed so early! Keep it going :-)
jessicaboykin

Re: Stitch

Post by jessicaboykin »

When I first started I would get the worst stitches, sometimes in both sides. I haven't gotten one at all since about the end of week 2, and I'm now in the middle of week 5. I think that my breathing just naturally got better (deeper and more even) as I did more running which eliminated the stitches. Keep it up!