Injury

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lauren

Injury

Post by Lauren »

Hi

I am currently at the end of week 8 of the get running programe, which i love, but on saturday a suffered an injury on my toe not related to running but its caused damage that the only shoes i can put on are flip flops due to my toe being in a bandage so therefore trainers are a no go, im hoping that it will only be a 1-2 week problem at the max that i wont be able to run, but is there anything i can do to keep my stamina up as im worried that this break will knock me back a couple of weeks.

Any advice will be great.

Thanks Lauren
benjohn

Re: Injury

Post by benjohn »

Hi Lauren,

It's so frustrating to get an injury! I think perhaps it is better to get one at the end, as at least you know it is something you can do and that you enjoy, so getting back in to it will be easier.

It you are a member of a gym, would you be able to use a cross training machine barefoot? You could continue with the week 8 times on a cross train machine. They should be able to give you advice on how to set it to match running like conditions.

Otherwise, I think I would suggest swimming, if you can? It's a very good complement to running, as it helps to strengthen some of the muscles that running doesn't do so much for, such as your back. It's also good for stamina.

My experience with stops to running has been that it's not set me back all that much, and I've generally been able to pick up about where I left off, so don't be too concerned :-)

I hope you heal up soon, and you can get out to enjoy your running again.

All the best!
Benjohn