Food/fuel question

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Kate

Food/fuel question

Post by Kate »

I have just done week 2 run 1 and feel great now it's over! I like to run at 6.30am so I can get home in time to get ready for my day. Obviously I don't feel like eating beforehand. Is it ok to run on an empty stomach and eat about an hour after I finish? I did try eating half a banana 10 mins before my run today but wished I hadn't! Grateful for any tips on early morning running, thanks!
samjdalton

Re: Food/fuel question

Post by samjdalton »

I tend to run at the same time of day. You're not supposed to eat much sooner than an hour before running, and there's no way I am getting up an hour earlier, so I tend to run on an empty stomach other than a glass of water. I tend to have a banana and something to drink as soon as I get in after the run.
Tango56

Post by Tango56 »

Same for me too. I run at 0615 after having had a cup of tea during pre-run stretching. I do tend to burp a bit on the tea when I first set off for the run but I couldn't do it on completely empty! When I get back I eat my breakfast cereal as usual after I've stretched and cooled down.
I finished Week 4 today and am looking forward to Week 5 with some trepidation!
Cheers, T.
kickboxerchick8

Post by kickboxerchick8 »

After you run (or do any sort of workout) you have about a 45 minute window where your body is in prime mode to absorb nutrients. That's why for people who work out regularly, you see them drinking shakes or eating a protein bar as they are leaving the gym. Your body needs protein after you work out. It is as simple as drinking a glass of 2% chocolate milk! (Your body needs the fat in the milk to help absorb the protein.)That's what I usually do, if I don't have a protein bar on me already. I recommend Luna bars, which are made specifically for women, and they don't taste like garbage, like a lot of the other bars do. Then you can take your time in eating your breakfast. As long as you get some sort of nutrient rich drink or bar in within the 45 minute window, you should be good!
Jambros

Post by Jambros »

I am also an early morning runner and had been going out on an empty stomach up until week 5 run 3 (20mins) where when I first attempted it I ran out of steam. So today I got up earlier had a banana and repeated the run this time doing it without too much difficulty.

I suspect as the runs get longer eating beforehand will get more important!