Losing motivation

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
kishe_lily

Losing motivation

Post by kishe_lily »

Hi there,

I'm new to running and I started the Get Running program about two months ago, I didn't expect to be able to zoom through it, but I certainly didn't expect it to go this badly.

I originally ran week 1 twice and then moved on to week 2, which was fine for the first run, then got continually harder each run I went on. I moved back onto week 1 to try and regain my confidence, and have been stuck there ever since. To make matters worse, I missed about a week of running because of family stuff at the beginning of the month. I thought I would probably find myself back at my starting point, but instead I have just about been able to do and average 6 out of 8 of the runs, 4 being my all time worst.

All of this is making it really hard for me to keep going, as I don't only feel like I'm getting no better at running, but that I'm actually getting worse. While I wouldn't say I'm particularly fit, I walk a minimum of 5km a day with my dog every day, so I'm not coming at this from a completely sedentary starting point.

While I find the time keeping on the app really helpful, my lack of progress through the program is causing me to completely lose my motivation to keep running. Has anyone else had similar struggles? Any suggestions as to how I should keep my spirits up would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Cantrunatall

Re: Losing motivation

Post by Cantrunatall »

Sorry to read you are not happy. I've been told that the first few minutes of each run are the hardest which kindof explains why doing lots of short runs seems tough. When they get longer absurdly they are easier and less of them which seems better.
What do you do when you are running and are there loads of people around ? I found that running at a quieter time of day was easier as I felt less selfconcious. Also I listen to an audio book as I lose sense of time and it's over with quicker but yet I want to run again to hear what comes next which is different to music.
Seems a shame to give up when you have tried so hard.
Good luck with your future runs. :D
jessicaboykin

Post by jessicaboykin »

I second everything above. I'm just now getting into the 5+ minute runs, and they are so much easier. On the short runs, starting back after walking was so hard for me. BUT, my breathing gradually got better over the first 3 weeks, and now I don't struggle as much through the runs. It gets better!

Oh, great suggestion on the audio books! I am definitely going to try that.
kishe_lily

Post by kishe_lily »

I tend to run along a path through some fields where I can let the dog off the lead, so I very rarely meet people, although it's not actually too bad as I live in Italy and people don't tend to care how stupid you look when you're doing sports as long as you're doing something to try and maintain your figure!
I tried turning the in run reminders off during my last run (so she only says start and stop), which I actually found helped as I have been getting fixated on how much longer I have to keep going instead of being pleased that I've already completed so much of a run.
I've been using music so far, but I will have a go at listening to an audio book instead and see how that goes.
Thanks for your help. :)
Clf2210

Post by Clf2210 »

Hi, my first post -i have just finished week 4 and have no idea how i will get through next week but have done it so far so am going to trust the app??!!!! I thought i'd share with you that i'm 37 have never run (or exercised) in my life EVER! And am ashamedly 3 stone overweight. I have the same problem that run 1 of the new week is always easier than run 3 of the previous-they seem to get harder instead of easier! - i have no idea why this is the case all i can put it down to is the fact that i have rested for 2 days previous to 'run 1 of a new week. I always finish run 3 thinking i have no chance doing the following week yet up to now i've somehow managed it (though i'm well aware run 3 of week 5 is looming in 6 days!!!!) i would suggest when you finish your next full week of runs (week 1) rest for 2 days then go out psyched up to do week 2 regardless of how difficult your last run felt- i know i'm no expert and am certainly in no position to give advice but honestly if you saw the state of me when i'm running you'd think 'if she can do it i certainly can!!!' good luck with it i'm sure you've just managed to get stuck in a rut and take my hat off to you at how long you've managed to stay motivated!
mercury

Post by mercury »

First, it's great that you're still going out there and doing week 1 and 2 runs over instead of giving up! I just completed week 4, and I'm going to be repeating it for a few days while I try to source the cause of a very unpleasant side stitch.

Second, your fear of actually getting worse can't really be true, because at least you're getting out there and doing SOMEthing, which is what I've been telling myself when I feel demotivated.

I also actually find that the first day of each week has been harder. Perhaps you're running too fast?

And finally, the audiobook idea is a great suggestion, I'm going to try it out myself :D
kishe_lily

Post by kishe_lily »

Two new posts after all this time, very exciting :)

Well, about four months later, I'm now running for intervals of 5 minutes running, 2 mins walking, 5 mins running, 2 mins walking, 12 minutes running. I was at 6,6,14 but then went on holiday for two weeks and wasn't able to run (we were driving all day most days, and getting up any earlier would have been suicidal). I got stuck again when it came to trying to run the dreaded 20 minute run, and ended up using my own training programmes on RunKeeper to work up to the 20 minute run. I was running four intervals and decided to keep running past my third one to see how long I could keep going, and found that I do really well using two short runs followed by a longer one. I also run every other day, rather than taking two rest days, I find it easier, I think that's purely psychological, but it helps.

I'm still finding it a struggle at times, but given how far I've come, and where I started, I'm really pleased with it. So don't let it put you off if you're struggling, keep at it and eventually you'll get there!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Kishe_lily,

Thanks for your post, it's great to hear from you :-) I'm really glad you kept going and found your own solution! Determination like that will get you where you want to be.

Even if you're not using Get Running for your running now, please use the forum when you want to: it's great to have you here!

Happy running,
Benjohn
kishe_lily

Post by kishe_lily »

Hi Benjohn,

I've been lurking on the forums since I started running, there's always new things cropping up and I am a bit of a theory-nut, I always read masses of background information and advice about anything I'm doing/interested in at the time, so I can't resist coming back here :).
mercury

Post by mercury »

Haha, I didn't notice that this thread had actually been resurrected from April! It's great to see how far you've come from just a few months ago. Never mind 30 minutes, I'd be thrilled if I could run 15-20 minutes without stopping. Like you, I hope I can keep at it and have a happier story to relate in a few months!