New Start New Runner

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
samantha

Re: New Start New Runner

Post by samantha »

Jimmy, make sure you report your achievement on Thursday!! You'll smash it :)

Keep up the good work!

I shall be checking in to see how it went :)
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

YEEEEEES I DID IT! Its 0715 and I'm standing outside my house sweat dripping off my body having just done week 5 run 3. I ran for 20 mins without stopping and that feels soooo good. I can anything now! :D
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

Well done to you! It's a wonderful feeling isn't it! Nothing can stop you now
Ruthyo

Post by Ruthyo »

Yay!! I've just done it too! ( See my 'Holiday' post )

Well done, Jimmy!
roadrunner

Post by roadrunner »

Just started today. I havent run for over 25 years.
At this stage I need to look at purchasing some propoer running shoes. any suggestions would be welcome?
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

Due to being a big bloke I decided to have my gait analysed, I didn't fancy doing my runs in normal fashion trainers. I found out I over pronate and this would have caused no end of problems when wearing normal shoes. I now run in a lovely pair of New Balance support shoes! :)
rosieg

Post by rosieg »

Hi, i'm a very unfit 55 year old who has never run in her life. I walk the dogs but apart from that I really dont get any exercise. So I decided to have a go with this app which everyone seems to love! I suppose i'm about a stone over my normal weight and im on week 2 session 2 of the app. I have really taken it on board but after last night my legs have been really hurting, they feel very stiff even though I have been doing all the cool downs and stretches etc. My daughter thinks I am mad to do the next session tomorrow and thinks I should leave it a few days for my legs to improve? Any suggestions please folks??? I have to admit I am finding it quite hard even at this stage but am determined to go through with it. :?
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) Well done Rosieg!! You're doing great!

I'd suggest giving the run a go, and taking it really easy. If you can, try to have a longer warm up at the start to get as loose as you can. If the run doesn't work out, then if you can, just have a nice walk – you can do the run any time, it's ready when you are (and you will be!).

For the future, during your rest day as you go about your daily stuff / wait for kettle to boil, try to take the odd minute to stretch a bit more. Work on the muscles that are particularly bothering you. A good stretch is 30 seconds on each side for each muscle, which is a long time! Stretching like snacking is good :-) Take a minute a few times a day. You can't overdo it, provided you're not forcing a stretch or feeling pain.

Also, if you can massage the muscles that are bothering you, it will really help a great deal. Just give them a good rub and kneed, or if someone else can do that for you, all the better. It only takes a minute to work a muscle over and it is quite enormously helpful to a quick recovery ready for your next session of running!

Again – well done, and happy running :-)
Benjohn
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

Hi,I did my first run ever yesterday. In a desperate attempt to lose weight,at nearly 12 stone and only 5ft 2, it needs to be done.Can't believe I did 8x1minute runs. Felt good afterwards though. Please tell me it gets easier. Can't imagine getting to week 3 at the mo.But still looking forward to tomorrow, hope to see a little improvement. Wish me luck.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi Nicky,

Well done that's great. It does get easier but i guess you are always pushing yourself so is a challenge too. I still have the odd really tough day too, but on another day i feel like i could finish a marathon (i am no where near to doing that by the way!!!) I am on week 7 and loving it - i am very overweight and have never enjoyed running so i have had a complete turn around since finding this app. I def. wouldn't have done it without it either - it really helps me, so really if i can do it anyone can.

:)

Let us know how you get on ;)

Dawn

PS I love this thread - how is everyone doing