Argh!!! Help please

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
littlelegs

Argh!!! Help please

Post by littlelegs »

Hey Guys,

My name is Emma and I've just downloaded this app which seems great I can't wait to get started but I'm really scared of looking stupid doing it because I think many people will laugh at me if they see me stop running as they drive past or whatever.

Has anyone got any tips to boost confidence and motivation. I am motivated to do this but at the moment the only thing stopping me is serious self concious issues.

Any tips, suggestions or comments will be gratefully received

Hope you're all doing well

Em x
samjdalton

Re: Argh!!! Help please

Post by samjdalton »

The only suggestion I have is to get some good music, crank it up loud and get out there and run. You're working towards something so there is no need to be embarrassed in the slightest :)
littlelegs

Post by littlelegs »

I guess you're right, I suppose to get over my self conciousness I need to run anyway.
What sort of tracks do you listen to when you run? How far into the program are you? How are you finding it?
Sorry for the million and one questions, I'm just new to all of this and quite curious :) j
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

No problem, questions are good :)

I just finished week 6 run 1 this morning, so I am a good way through the programme. It was hard work to start with, but I now find myself wanting to run all the time - the rest days are tough!

I listen to all sorts of stuff when running, and often it's quite unlikely stuff that turns out to be the best for me. I document my runs on my blog (http://www.runningsam.com) if you want to see exactly what I listen to :)
Katina

Post by Katina »

Something that helped me was wearing sunglasses. It made it easier that there was no eye contact with anyone!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

You asked for a confidence and motivation boost – but I think you sound confident and motivated already, which is brilliant!

As you've said, your worry is of being noticed. There are a lot of runners around these parts (I live in London), of all ages and abilities. I see plenty of the "proper" runners stopping to take a walk, or starting after a walk. Interval training is used by established runners too, and those same runners also like to have a walk before and after. Who's going to know that you're starting out?

Trust me – people walking past don't care. They've got their own thoughts to think or worry about :-)

Go and have a lovely run, and I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Happy running.
Alex20

Post by Alex20 »

I endorse everything benjohn said:)
kickboxerchick8

Post by kickboxerchick8 »

benjohn wrote:You asked for a confidence and motivation boost – but I think you sound confident and motivated already, which is brilliant!

As you've said, your worry is of being noticed. There are a lot of runners around these parts (I live in London), of all ages and abilities. I see plenty of the "proper" runners stopping to take a walk, or starting after a walk. Interval training is used by established runners too, and those same runners also like to have a walk before and after. Who's going to know that you're starting out?

Trust me – people walking past don't care. They've got their own thoughts to think or worry about :-)

Go and have a lovely run, and I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Happy running.
Completely agreed! As far as people driving past, it will take less than a minute for them to get past you, and then they won't notice what you are doing, so by the time you stop for a walk, the people who saw you running are long gone! :)

Whenever I'm on a run, I just put my entire song list on shuffle, and skip songs that I don't get a good vibe from. The songs/genre that motivates me really changes every run I do. Sometimes I need a good hard rock guitar riff, other times I want a techno type beat. It all really depends.
littlelegs

Post by littlelegs »

Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it, once I'm past this hurdle I know there will be no stopping me :) - well with any luck anyway :D

Thank you especially to BenJohn, thats exactly what I needed to hear, sometimes you just need a word or two of encouragement and a little push :) I honestly didn't know proper runners did that, so thats boosted my confidence indefinable amounts. I live in london too so hopefully you won't be able to tell me apart :)

Thank you for all your help though guys, I really really appreciate it!!!
I havnt been able to start my running program properly yet because I've just been finishing up at uni for summer and have had so much work on but the minute I start out properly I'll let you know how it all goes :)

Hope you are all well and your running is going well :) I admire you all x