Should I start?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Runredrun

Should I start?

Post by Runredrun »

Just bought the app with full intention of using. I'm completely out of shape so I'm wondering if I should start smaller than the first week suggested? Did most of you start with week one or start a walking routine first? I just don't want to hurt myself and then get off track.... Help!
samjdalton

Re: Should I start?

Post by samjdalton »

I was massively overweight before I started Get Running (I still am overweight, but 3 stone lighter!). As such I decided to spend an hour a day walking for the 3 weeks before I started week 1. I don't think I'd have managed week one before doing that, and it got my knees and joints used to sustained movement which they hadn't experienced for many years :D

Just completed week 6 run 2 this morning, so it seems to have worked for me, but I guess your mileage may vary 8-)
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Hi,
just to reitterate what Sam said really. I was very unfit (and lazy) before I started this programme but had been doing a 20 minute quick march walk for about three weeks prior to getting the app. I think that helped me too with breathing, joint movements and realising I really needed to get new trainers! Good luck with it, its a great app, plus you don't have to go fast. My "runs" are actually very slow jogs! :roll:

http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
Kmda17044

Post by Kmda17044 »

You sound like you want to start, but it is good to start small. I have asthma and I am doing Zumba as well as doing the running. I started by walking as much as I could and increasing as I could. My doctor told me to start doing Zumba.