Running with Lymphodema

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Tink

Running with Lymphodema

Post by Tink »

I started the couch to 5k on thursday but my 2nd run didn't go so well. I got very painful legs. I suffer from Lymphodema and I've contacted the lymph nurses to see if I can run in my support tights, but i imagine they will say no they are calling me on monday

I am a keen walker and can literally walk for miles with no problems so i thought I'd try running. Perhaps running us just that more impactive that it causes problems.

I've seen that runners can buy compression tights but they may not be tight enough. Any advice that any of you have would be very helpful.

Lymphodema is a hereditary condition, an impaired lymph, and it causes swelling. Since I've been wearing support tights (6 months) I've 'lost' 3/4 litres of fluid from both legs and over 127cm from ankle to thigh. I suppose as my legs were returning to normal I thought I could get into running, but perhaps I won't be able to

Tink