Knee pain

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Eidolic

Knee pain

Post by Eidolic »

I started this program about 2 weeks ago. I repeated week one just so I was comfortable. 2 days ago I started having knee pain. I am supposed to run tomorrow. Do I work through the pain? I can't see my doc until the 22. I really don't want to stop the program. Any suggestions are appreciated.
kickboxerchick8

Re: Knee pain

Post by kickboxerchick8 »

That's really had to say, because it all depends on what kind of knee pain it is. I would probably not run, but I've torn my ACL and had reconstruction surgery, so when I have issues with my knees, I immediately rest them. You can always walk, and do an elliptical in the mean time, because the elliptical is much easier on your knees. Or swim, that's a great workout to do until you see the doctor, and it's really good on the joints.
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

I get knee pain from time to time but it's not crippling. I need to "click" my knees out from time to time. Are your running shoes supportive enough? Try jumping up and down a few times before you go into your run to as that sort of "tells" your joints what you are about to do :)
http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
squigglies

Post by squigglies »

I also get knee pain from running, mine is due to patellofemoral pain syndrome, which is apparently the most common sports-medicine diagnosis. The doctor gave me some exercises to do to strengthen up specific leg muscles which helps.

Last summer, before I got the diagnosis, I was hitting the gym hard and tried to 'work through the pain'. Needless to say it just made the pain worse to the point where I couldn't exercise at all and I was having to wear support bandages just to walk!

My advice would therefore be to rest or take it as easy as possible until you see the doctor- you could just be making it worse! :)
Redro

Post by Redro »

My running ended about 20 years ago because of a knee injury - I have seen sports doctors, physios, orthapedic surgeons and podiatrists - been given orthotics, had knee surgery, had endless physio and have spent a fortune on numerous anti pronation/stability shoes - and basically my knee is still as bad as the day it was injured.

I have been on this wonderful Get Running programme since the beginning of the year, am up to running 8ks - and the knee is still niggling. So, I am going to take the less is more approach and go back to the sort of basic shoe (probably New Balance Minimus) I ran in in the 70's before all the running shoe hype started - and try and develop a more natural running style. You might be interested in reading "Born to Run". The author's thesis is that more expensive shoes increase the odds of running injury - and detract from a natural running style.

Good luck with your knee, I really hope you manage to sort it out soon - when your training and fitness all come together, running is an absolute joy.