I did it- week 5 run 3- what a feeling!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
samantha

I did it- week 5 run 3- what a feeling!

Post by samantha »

I did it. I fully completed 20 mins and keeping a nice slow pace was the best advice I read.

Never ever in my life could I run 20 mins, not even at school when I was an anti-p.e asthmatic supposedly in my prime. Well look at me now.

And I feel like I have only just begun. What a feeling. X
russellelly

Re: I did it- week 5 run 3- what a feeling!

Post by russellelly »

Well done! Think on hindsight this run was the turning point for me, when I really started to believe I was doing it! Saw a review in the App Store criticising the jump from 2x8 to 1x20, but actually think it's perfectly timed, and as you've proved it can be done! Keep going... :D
pundecided

Post by pundecided »

Well done - I've just come back from doing the same. I too was doubtful that it was possible to go from two 8-minute runs to one 20 minute run but everyone said "trust the programme", so I did, and I did it too :mrgreen: I'm sure people can walk faster than I was "running" at some points, but I didn't stop and actually it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

After looking at the programme and thinking "I can't do that", I now realise that I can do that so I'm looking forward to improving my stamina, speed and distance in the coming weeks.

Only downside is that I've actually put a load of weight on instead of shifting it (and it's not muscle, it's definitely belly). Think it's because the virtuous feeling I have from doing some exercise is more than offset by the amount of rubbish I have been eating and wine I have been drinking...

Anyway, well done and yes, it just goes to show that they know what they're doing when they set the programme up to work in that way, doesn't it?
kc1982

Post by kc1982 »

I did that run today too and was really dreading it, but it actually wasn't that bad! My breathing throughout was fine, my only issue was my ankle. It hurt alot every time I put my foot down. Anyway, congrats to us! We are awesome!
samantha

Post by samantha »

Hi all,

Still chuffed to bits, when do you all start week 6? I start tomorrow, can't wait. Itching to run as had the weekend as rest days.

Do any of you know how fast you were going? I can say I was literally jogging as slow as humanly possible and could try harder but I didn't wanna exert myself as wanted to get through it all without stopping or dying :) lol

Also, went out in the car and clocked the route round for 3.3 miles which I believe is 5k yeah? And there is no chance of me getting round that in 30 mins so these 3 weeks to end are looking like there's a lot riding on them!! I am doing about half the distance in 20 mins to be fair. But one step at a time!!!

Happy Running guys!! X
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

5K = 3.1 miles so it's not as far as you think ;)

I did my first 5K this weekend in 34:25. Don't necessarily expect to be covering the full distance by the end of week 9 - concentrate on being able to run for 30 minutes and build up the distance from there :)
samantha

Post by samantha »

That was a quick response Sam!! Is your running as fast?! Lol :)

Yeah I am thinking about it too much, I just wanna run before I can walk to to speak :)

20 mins so far is fantastic and think I am be over greedy in my gradual achievements :) I want it all now!! I'm like that Violet Bowregard (or however you spell it) from Willy Wonka lol, I want it all now!!
kc1982

Post by kc1982 »

Hi again!

I was running on my treadmill and was going at 6.8km/hr. In total I ran 3km's during my 20minute run yesterday. Sorry, I'm in Australia, so not sure of the conversion for miles! I am planning on starting Wk 6 tomorrow. I was going to do it today, but decided a rest day was probably a good idea.

Happy running! :)