I have gone from Couch to 5K

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
samjdalton

I have gone from Couch to 5K

Post by samjdalton »

Today I did Get Running Week 8 Run 1, but that’s only half the story. I actually did it as park of an organised, timed 5K run organised by ParkRun. ParkRun organise free timed 5K runs every Saturday morning all around the UK, and my closest - in Black Park - is only 20 minutes drive away. I bit the bullet this week and went along to see if C25K really has taken me from my Couch to being able to complete 5K. I was reasonably confident I could do the distance having managed over 4K on a couple of runs previously, but I had no idea how long it would take.

It was a bright, cool, and dry morning and over 300 people turned up for the run so that atmosphere was great - there are plenty of people that do it every week, and plenty that were new like myself so my mind was put at rest with regards making a fool of myself. The run itself went very well, we started a little after 9am, and according to my GPS I covered the 5K in 34:25 which is an average pace of 6:52mins/km - the fastest I have ever run!

I am dead chuffed to complete my first 5K, and I guess it means C25K and Get Running have done their job, but I won’t be finishing the programme early - I still have 5 runs left to get to the end of week 9 and I will be continuing them as usual.
russellelly

Re: I have gone from Couch to 5K

Post by russellelly »

Well done!

I came on to post a very similar tale - I did Greenwich parkrun this morning as my Week 8 Run 3. First time running the distance, really enjoyed it and surprised myself with my time of 24:29 (so, actually 3 and a half minutes off Week 8 Run 3, but I'm counting it!). 39th out of 86, and I was worried at the start of coming last (no shame in that, of course - big respect to anyone doing it).

It's been said many times on the forum, but big thanks to benjohn and all involved in this app - I can't believe how much I struggled with those week 1 runs, I think the first 20 minutes run was the first time I really enjoyed it, and hope I can now push on to 10k or more.

There was a volunteer photographer at the run, I'll try to get their permission to pass a photo on for the 'got running' gallery.
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

Congratulations to you too! What an amazing time! There was a photographer at mine too - hope to get a look at the pics soon!
samantha

Post by samantha »

Well done guys, what an achievement, you must feel fantastic.

What are your plans after the 9 weeks?! I am panicking already :)
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

After week 9 I have a 5.6km run in mid-July so I will continue doing the 30 minutes 3 times a week until that, then I have another 5K race on 1st October then a 10K in November. So once the 5.6km race is done I will start training for hte 10km and use the October 5k as a training run :)
russellelly

Post by russellelly »

The 5.6k isn't the JPM Corpoate Challenge, by any chance? I'm signed up for that, will be my next race. Would like to work towards 10k or more, but keep building it up gradually.
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

russellelly wrote:The 5.6k isn't the JPM Corpoate Challenge, by any chance? I'm signed up for that, will be my next race. Would like to work towards 10k or more, but keep building it up gradually.
Certainly is :) Which day are you doing, the Wednesday or the Thursday?

I booked a 10K today for 10th September :D
russellelly

Post by russellelly »

Haha, thats funny. I did wonder how many 5.6ks there could be. I'll be there on the Wednesday, not done it before but heard it's a good atmosphere with lots of food/drink afterwards.

10 September sounds like a good target, good luck :)
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

russellelly wrote:Haha, thats funny. I did wonder how many 5.6ks there could be. I'll be there on the Wednesday, not done it before but heard it's a good atmosphere with lots of food/drink afterwards.

10 September sounds like a good target, good luck :)
Yup, it's a rather odd distance! I am there on the Thursday which is a shame, would be good to meet another GetRunner! Best of luck!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

FWIW, the slightly random 5.6K is pretty close to a fairly nice and round 3.5 miles :-)