Doomed to be fat :(

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
littlelegs

Doomed to be fat :(

Post by littlelegs »

I have just collapsed through the door after attempting the first, first week run and I failed miserably!! I couldn't even finish it, my feet were killing, I could hear my heart in my head and could taste something that resembled blood in my mouth. If u can't even complete a run designed for an unfit couch potato, what chance do I stand :( so disheartened right now :( and advice? X
kickboxerchick8

Re: Doomed to be fat :(

Post by kickboxerchick8 »

The heart pounding in your ears thing is probably dehydration. When I work out and I'm dehydrated, I get an awful headache.

Feet killing might be your shoes. Are they old shoes from the back of your closet? If so, you probably need new ones, or some sort of insert, at least.

Blood in your mouth, no idea. But you might want to double check and see if it's actually blood in your mouth, or if you just think it is. If it is, that is something to see the doctor about. Do you have any health issues?

Did you try and run really fast your first day? You might have overdone it on your pace. That I can't really say, since I wasn't there. You can always start out with a walking program before you get into doing the running again, if you're concerned.
unfitjess

Post by unfitjess »

Don't worry!

I'm a 20 year old female, about 10 stone so not overweight; and when I did my first week it actually killed me, i really really struggled to even run for 60 seconds.

But now i'm on week 2 and things have got slightly easier: I got terrible shin splints, sorted out by buying proper trainers (before i was running in primark plimsoles!)
and i've also found that slowing down helps a great deal, my running speed is only slightly faster than my walking speed! focus on time not speed, as you follow the program then you'll naturally start to get fitter and be able to run better :-)

Hope this helps!
unfitjess

Post by unfitjess »

ALSO!

I've found running on the treadmil is so much easier than running outside so if you can, get on a treadmil :-) x
kickboxerchick8

Post by kickboxerchick8 »

unfitjess wrote:ALSO!

I've found running on the treadmil is so much easier than running outside so if you can, get on a treadmil :-) x
Running on a treadmill is easier, because you are just running to keep up with the belt, you aren't pushing off the ground when you run like you would when you are outside. The treadmill does a lot of the propulsion work for you. If you run on a treadmill, you should run at a slight incline, to make it as if you were running outdoors.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi littlelegs,

Well done writing, and well done getting out there – that's a great start.

So, I don't quite understand what you wrote though :-) Did you jog along for sixty seconds, and then walk, but you couldn't finish all of the eight runs?

• If you could do one of the 60 second runs, then that's a good start. You can spend a little longer going through week one. Just repeat it until you are comfortable with it. The first time out, you can do just two of the 60 second runs and walk for the others. Then add in another couple of runs so you are doing four (and miss every other run). Then add in two more (you'll have to pick the breaks yourself). After that you'll get up to eight without any problem.

• If you found just jogging 60 seconds too much, don't worry. Go out and walk instead. Build yourself up to walking for half an hour, and work up your walking speed to a good fast walk. After that, give the first week a try again. You should still go out and do three of these brisk half hour long walks a week.

The other advice here is also great. Make sure you are well hydrated (but don't drink much in the hour or so before running). Good shoes are important. And slowing down really helps! You can work on speeding up once you're sustaining running for 30 minutes.

Keep at it, and you'll make it.

All the best,
Benjohn
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

Littlelegs, firstly well done on starting the programme and secondly well done on making this post about struggling. I too struggled on week 1 but believe me it does get better. I'm now on week 3 having done run 2 today and it was probably the first time I've really enjoyed myself. If you have a look at my ''New Start New Runner' thread you will see that I am very overweight but Get Running has opened up a new lease of life for me. Stick at it my friend, take your time and in a few weeks I'm sure you will be loving the running!
jaysonjaz

Post by jaysonjaz »

Hey, hang in there. I struggle with heartburn (partially caused by being overweight) and I will sometimes get that bloody taste in my mouth when I overexert myself. Try going a little easier next time and maybe you can try some tums or something to keep things down.
littlelegs

Post by littlelegs »

jaysonjaz wrote:Hey, hang in there. I struggle with heartburn (partially caused by being overweight) and I will sometimes get that bloody taste in my mouth when I overexert myself. Try going a little easier next time and maybe you can try some tums or something to keep things down.
Hey Jaysonjaz :)

Thanks for the reply, I don't understand what tums are though :s

In the meanwhile to let everyone know I've been doing calorie specific workouts on a treadmill to try and up my stamina a bit so it will eventually make the running program a bit easier, I havn't been sweating buckets or panting like a dog but have instead taken it easy. Maybe this isnt such a good idea? I worked off 550 calories today according to my pedometre like gizmo, took just over an hour.

Is this a good road to be going down or should I really be focusing on trying to get running?
This is all so new to me.
I would of liked to of been able to run at least half an hour before my holiday which is in 10 weeks but so far that doesnt seem to be going well.

Im sorry to appear to constantly only leave negative comments etc but I'm just finding it so hard to get into the program and am very dissapointed as I was very excited at the prospect of starting to run properly as a hobby and fitness regime, and all you're support, comments and feedback help me no end

Hope you're all well and running x
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Hi littlelegs,
I started this programme extremely unfit and at least 3 stone overweight :oops: I am now on week 9 and loving it. Before I did the first day of week 1 I had been walking about 1.3 miles briskly and adding a little jog in here and there 5 mornings a week for about 4 or 5 weeks . My shins hurt so I got new trainers. I used runkeeper to track my distance, pace and calories burned. Just a note about calorie burning - these are only an estimate so, personally, I think doing your exercise by calories burnt is isn't an exact science you are better off doing it by distance or time and pace. I really think the walking built me up to starting the programme and definitely helped me to get where I am. My "run" is only a notch above my fastest walk. I think many people try to run too fast to start with. The metallic/blood taste is common too, I found an article for you here, http://www.livestrong.com/article/32282 ... -exercise/

No-one is doomed to be fat. For us, it just takes a little more effort than we are used to. Keep it going. I have now lost 10.7lbs and although it's a slow process I know the running got rid of at least 2/3 of those lbs because, as the running times get longer, I am losing more lbs each week and not (I can assure you ;) ) necessarily eating too much less.

I hope this helps. Please don't give up you will be so pleased to achieve this and don't be too hard on yourself if you don't complete it in the time you have allotted yourself. If you can run for 20 minutes (end of week 5) in 10 weeks then that is an achievement in itself and at least 20 times better than not doing it at all.

Good luck :D

www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com