Why 8mins to 20mins?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
ckuzell

Why 8mins to 20mins?

Post by ckuzell »

Why do the minutes jump so much from 8 mins to 20mins in Week 5?

I am due to do the 20min run on Sat morning but I am going out on Friday night so I'll do it on Sunday morning instead. Any tips for the build up?
Last edited by ckuzell on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samjdalton

Re: Why 8mins to 20mins?

Post by samjdalton »

It's all about the challenge ;)

The thing is you go from 2 runs of 8 minutes to 20 minutes, so really it's only an increase of 4 minutes, it's just that there's no walking in between.

This run is mainly mental in my opinion - believe that you can do it. Start off slow so that you don't run out of steam towards the end. Break it down into 4 5 minute runs and take each as it comes - don't think about the fact you have 15 minutes left for example, just concentrate on the next 5 minutes.

The other thing is to make sure you eat before you run (at *least* an hour before, ideally 2) and that you're properly hydrated (don't drink too much too close to the run as you'll just slosh your way around)

Most of all, Good Luck :)
percy

Re: Why 8mins to 20mins?

Post by percy »

I did the 20 minute run today and I was so nervous about doing it beforehand but to be honest, it wasn't that hard at all. I was really surprised how ok it was - I even ran another couple of minutes during the cool down period just because I could!

You'll be alright - just listen to the nice lady and you'll be alright!!!