Failed Week 5 Run 3

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
ckuzell

Failed Week 5 Run 3

Post by ckuzell »

I'm just back from what was supposed to be my Week 5 run 3. I am really really upset. I couldn't do it all. I stopped running after only 5 mins. I ran again after 5 mins of walking but I only ran for say 3 mins. I walked the rest of the time.

I feel like such a failure.

I'm so so upset.

What should I do next week? Continue with the plan or redo week 5?

:( :( :( :(
Katina

Re: Failed Week 5 Run 3

Post by Katina »

I failed on that one too first time & really felt awful. Give it another go & I'm sure you can do it. Tina
matt

Post by matt »

Don't worry! It's perfectly fine to re-do a run, or a week, and not being able to do every single run first time is quite normal, honest :)

I'd maybe re-do Week 5 again (you can easily go back and re-run any run by tapping on it in the "progress path" at the bottom of the Get Running screen.) And think about slowing down for Week 5 Run 3 -- you can find your endurance is a lot better if you just slacken off the pace a bit for the longer runs. It's the same as not sprinting a marathon, just on a smaller scale!

Get Running is made to fit a whole slew of very different people, and there's nothing wrong with having another go at a run, or a week, or even the whole course -- it's all part of the learning experience you go through when you start to find out what your body's good at.

Also, some days are just better than others. Since I started running, I've done a half marathon that felt just fine and a 5K that I had to cut short because I just couldn't carry on, and everything in between. It depends on all sorts of things -- how tired you are, if you're stressed, what you've eaten, what time of day it is, what the weather's like -- so never let a bad run put you off! As you go on, you get more good days, and fewer bad ones :)

Hope that helps!

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
ckuzell

Post by ckuzell »

Thanks for the replies.

I have relaxed a bit now. I didn't deserve to run 20mins today as I was out on Friday night and there was lots of alcohol involved. I guess drink plays a major part in training/fitness etc. I should look at putting alcohol on hold for a while until I crack the 5k.

I think I'll go ahead onto week 6 as its back to running/walking. I need to stick with the plan and keep going.

Thanks again. x
adinnin

Post by adinnin »

As everyone has said. Don't worry about it.

I find it impossible to run after a night on the lash. However I don't recommend you go onto week 6 until you have completed week 5. I found week 5 a huge mile stone. Once you can do week 5 day 3. You can take on the world.

Give it another try. It's worth it !!!!
kickboxerchick8

Post by kickboxerchick8 »

adinnin wrote:As everyone has said. Don't worry about it.

I find it impossible to run after a night on the lash. However I don't recommend you go onto week 6 until you have completed week 5. I found week 5 a huge mile stone. Once you can do week 5 day 3. You can take on the world.

Give it another try. It's worth it !!!!
Agree with all of this. Week six is much like week 5, it starts out with run/walk intervals, but by the end of week 6 you are supposed to run 25 minutes without stopping. Repeat week 5. It's not a race, and no one will judge you if you do repeat it.
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Definitely redo week 5. It's such an achievement to run the 20 minutes at the end. It certainly gave me the boost to continue through to week 6. You know if it was a hangover that made it a bad run so redo it without the hangover, you'll be so pleased you did!
Take the run slowly. My "running" is barely more than my briskest walk!I start week 9 tomorrow and already completed a 5k last Saturday, and I'm lazy, and 3 stone heavier than I should be, and drink too much. My friends and family are aghast at my achievements! If I can do it so can you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

keep going, really, you will be so pleased you did xxx

42lbstolose.blogspot.com
ckuzell

Post by ckuzell »

I DID IT..................

I ran for 20 mins tonight and I am so happy. I actually ran for 21 mins!!!

So to anyone who may have trouble doing the 20mins first time round fear not. Re do week 5 and try again. I am so happy with myself. Can't wait to get out for my next run.

Yippee..................
buckorunner

Post by buckorunner »

Well done on completing the 20 minute run!!

I failed week 5 run 3 on Saturday and was really upset and frustrated but I was determined to complete it, and I did tonight! I slowed my pace dosn a little and felt really good for the whole 20 minutes :)

As a few people have said, it really is a marathon and not a sprint!

Bring on week 6!!