Armbands: too much choice!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Toilet Duck

Armbands: too much choice!

Post by Toilet Duck »

I'm looking to get hold of a decent armband to hold my iTouch 3G in place while I'm out running. But looking on Amazon there are dozens and dozens to choose from. I'm not sure which to plump for, so if anyone uses one and can personally recommend or give guidance, I'd be eternally grateful.

My needs are simple:

Its got to be easy to fit my iTouch into it (bearing in mind I use a silicone skin for protection), I'd probably be better off looking for an iPhone 3G/GS armband as theres only a few mm difference.

Its got to be easy to fit onto me, A simple velcro strap or similar, no complicated clip system.

Finally I have access to private land for running, so it would be nice if there was room to carry a credit card sized ID card in the pouch.

Oh and if its available from Amazon, all the better.
Toilet Duck

Re: Armbands: too much choice!

Post by Toilet Duck »

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one from Amazon. Its a Neoprene band made specifically to fit the iTouch. Probably have to buy another when i get the new iPhone in a few weeks.

Let y'all know what its like when it arrives...
Wannabe runner!

Post by Wannabe runner! »

Thanks for post I'm looking at them too going to look on amazon looked on eBay but they all look bulky
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Will you let us know if it's waterproof? My iphone broke after i got caught in a heavy shower when it was in my pocket - i am a bit paranoid now! ;)

Dawn
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

It arrived the other day, just in time for going out on a run. Heres a link if anyones interested... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ss_product They do make a similar band for iPhones, if thats your need.

Anyways its made from stretchy neoprene, the clear cover still allows you full use of the touch screen. I think it'll stand up to a light shower, but its not fully waterproof. If you need more waterproofness on the run, I'd look into investing in a light runners jacket, and keep your iTouch/iPhone in the pocket. The construction's good and the materials seem to be of a reasonable quality. Theres a handy elastic loop you can stuff spare headphone cable into to take up any slack.

My iTouch fits in from behind, and as a top tip, place it your on arm upside down, then set the get running app for always on. This will let you see time remaining as you are trotting round your route.

Basically theres no spare room in this, so if you need to carry a key, or wallet, then look elsewhere, but for taking your device along without need to hold it in your hand, then this is perfect, and a hell of a lot cheaper than overpriced bands from the likes of Belkin and Griffin.

Hope this helps.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Thanks very much for the review!
TransTina

Post by TransTina »

Thanks for the review.

Ive just bought one for my iphone, and 1 for my GFs ipod touch. The internet is a wonderful thing somnetimes.
Best wishes

Tina

It costs a lot to look this cheap