Week 3 :-(

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
unfitjess

Week 3 :-(

Post by unfitjess »

I cant seem to do week three,
this is the second week i'm trying to do it now and i cant seem to complete any of the 3 minute runs, no matter how slow I go!

any help? or am i doomed for unhealthiness forever? x
samjdalton

Re: Week 3 :-(

Post by samjdalton »

Firstly, don't give up.

Secondly, how far are you getting through the 3 minute run? What is making you have to stop? Pain? Too out of breath? Something else?
unfitjess

Post by unfitjess »

Mainly too out of breath, I can deal with the physical aspects of running (e.g muscle pain etc) absolutley fine, it's just i get out of breath so quickly, even when I'm running the slowest I can go, like a half jog, half walk thing, its pathetic! x
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

Sounds like you're still going a little too fast in that case.... FWIW the end of week 3 is when I really started to notice that my breathing got easier so do try to push through.
chipset

Post by chipset »

Here's something to try.. as I don't know if you are still struggling or not.

Change your breathing. Make sure you inhale deep using the diaphragm. Practice it during the walking period. Big breath in, big breath out. Through the mouth both ways. I had been struggling with breathing for a couple runs and just did my W5D3 run. As I knew I would be running for 20 minutes, I focused on making sure I was getting air. And what a difference it made, and without the side stitch I had been getting during my 8 minute runs.

Give it a try and see if it helps.