Running away from home!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
squigglies

Running away from home!

Post by squigglies »

Hello all,

I'm currently on week 5, just finished run 1. The week after next, I'm away with work for the whole week- I should be on week 6/7 by then. Obviously I don't want to take a break from running, especially as I've signed up for a sponsored 5K run in August, but I'm a bit apprehensive about running in a new place!

At the moment, I like to run the same route for each run so I can concentrate on running and not worry about where I'm going! I also like to run down quieter streets with fewer cars, as I'm still quite self-conscious. So running somewhere I don't know very well scares me a bit, also as a 25 year old woman who runs in the evening I worry about ending up in 'dodgy' areas by mistake!

Anyone have any advice?
TX_Mom

Re: Running away from home!

Post by TX_Mom »

If you'll be in a hotel, maybe you can run on the treadmill at your hotel? Most hotels nowadays have at least a mini workout room. Good luck!
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

I've done quite a few runs while I've been away over the last few months. When I've been in this country I've typically just gone out on the road and run an "out and back" type run (i.e. run until you reach the half way point of the programme and then turn around and run back). When I was in India a couple of weeks ago though I decided the traffic pretty much made it unsafe to run outside so I ran on the treadmill in the hotel - not the same feeling, but if you put the treadmill on a 1% incline it's *almost* the same exercise.
Ruthyo

Post by Ruthyo »

I was recently on holiday in Greece and was a bit apprehensive about running in a strange place but I did 3 runs, all at about 6.30am and enjoyed them all.
However I do appeciate that running in a holiday resort is completely different from running in a city, which is what you may be contemplating.
Perhaps you could ask hotel staff on the safety of the area and if you don't feel comfortable use the gym?
squigglies

Post by squigglies »

I've just found out which hotel I'm staying in and it's in a quiet little village in the countryside. I've looked on google maps and there looks like lots of nice little roads I could run down.

So I'm going to pack my running gear, man up and just DO IT!

Thanks for the advice everyone, good to know that others have successfully ran in new places!