Gutted!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
KeepTrying

Re: Gutted!

Post by KeepTrying »

Jimmy Ash wrote:Just completed w5r2 tonight and felt awful during and after. Couldn't get myself going or motivated for the run so just jogged which seems to be the norm of late. I've got my first 25 min non stop on Thurs and i'm not looking forward to it at all but will give it my best shot.
Hi Jimmy. Sorry to hear that it is at a bit of a low ebb. Sounds like the injury took you out of your stride (literally and figuratively). But even a slow jog for 25 mins is great - when you think back to where you were before you started the C25K programme. Stick with it. Hopefully the endorphin buzz might kick in again soon! Cheers Mike
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

Mike thanks for the reply it's great when people come back with positive encouragement. I think I just needed a kick up the backside so I had a chat with a mate who is an avid runner. He put a few pointers to me which gave me a lot more belief in myself and my running/jogging. I did the 25 min run and nailed it, I actually ran/walked 5.3k and even though it took me 41 mins I am more than happy!
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Jimmy Ash wrote:Mike thanks for the reply it's great when people come back with positive encouragement. I think I just needed a kick up the backside so I had a chat with a mate who is an avid runner. He put a few pointers to me which gave me a lot more belief in myself and my running/jogging. I did the 25 min run and nailed it, I actually ran/walked 5.3k and even though it took me 41 mins I am more than happy!
Awesome! Well done mate. I think it's tough to get back into it after an injury. But you are up and running - literally. Warm up well and make sure you stretch nicely after each run. How are your running shoes? It made a huge difference to me when I got proper video check of running gait and proper shoe fitting. Maybe you derserve to reward yourself!? ;) Mike
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

Mike shoes could have been the problem but not how you think! When i started i was wearing any old trainers i had, so i went and had my gait analised and bought myself a pair of New Balance supportive running shoes. Now here came the problem, when i run i over pronate according to the guy in the shop, so when i started with the new shoes i was trying to over compensate for my incorrect running style which possibly caused my calf strain. Since i've come back i've took some advice off my runner mate about my style, he said i was a 'flat foot' runner and explained about running 'heel to toe' and this seems to have sorted me out. The new shoes are working a treat!! :mrgreen: