Fed-up!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Scrumpy32

Fed-up!!

Post by Scrumpy32 »

I've just had to abandon run 2 week 3. Due to very painful lower leg pain. The unfortunate thing is that although I'm far from fit my CV has been bearing up well thus far!

The pain has gradually escalated from the middle of week 2.

I tried different shoes, but these actually felt worse. So reverted back to my original pair.

I've tried more stretching and have applied ice packs to my lower legs: all to no avail!

Has anyone got any tips or experience of this? Then please let me know.

Fed up and feeling lame.
benjohn

Re: Fed-up!!

Post by benjohn »

Sorry about the pain, that sucks!

Whereabouts in your lower leg is the pain? Is it in the calf muscle (at the back), or is it in the front around the shun bone?

Anyway – don't feel lame :-) You're giving it your best, which is awesome! If it's not going away, how about just walking for 30 or 40 minutes three times a week while they heal.

Best regards,
Benjohn
Scrumpy32

Post by Scrumpy32 »

Thank you for the reply.
The pain is on the front of the shins (more pronouced on my left leg) & also on the inner ankles of both legs.

I'll try your suggestion, as currently to walk is not overly painful.

I'm also going to have a gait check done. As I purchased a pair of over-pronating running shoes: as a knee jerk reaction to the pain(as my feet are as flat as Holland). But I should have researched more: As all of my existing shoes wear like a under-pronater!

Again, thank you for the reply & I'm determined to keep at it!

Regards
Joe
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Getting the analysis sounds like a great idea :-)

Your description sounds like it might be shin splints? Have a look on Google and see if that seems to match. If it does you'll find some advice for it on the forums here, and also on the web. Quite a few people who've had it have found ways around, so I hope you will too if that's what it is!

All the best!
Benjohn
fabrisky

Post by fabrisky »

Hi there,

I had the exact same pain on the front of my shins ( right leg for me ) and at the exact same week or a week before,

I'm no expert, but what I did was to rest a little bit longer between each run until my legs felt okay like, then run again and repeat that a few time.It was quite frustrating as I wanted to stick to the program, but i guess the boddy has to adapt itself gradualy.

Btw the pain on the front of my shins is gone now.

Hope it helps.
Scrumpy32

Post by Scrumpy32 »

Thank you to Fabrisky for the advice.
I've taken longer rest between my runs and this have actually helped lessen my shin pain(although not totally gone!).

I have also had a gait check done. The outcome was basically adding cushioned inserts to my running shoes.
Maybe the addition of the sole inserts and the longer rest; coupled with my legs getting more used to running has lessened the pain!

I am currently on week 4.
I am hoping that I don't pick up anymore niggles!
But certainly going to try & finish the term.
fabrisky

Post by fabrisky »

you're very welcome Scrumpy32,

I'm glad to hear that the soreness has somehow disapear.
That was the same for me it took a couple of runs for the pain to completly go away.

I guess when you haven't done any sport for a long time like me, the body has to gradually adapt, and legs a bit sore or
stff are completlly normal, as long as it is not "too" painfull or it doesn't get worst run after run.

we all know that we need to listen to our body, but one thing i found difficult as, a new runner is how to find out if this is
sore because the muscle are building up or if this is an injury. It is probably part of the learning process.

all the best and Keep it up Scrumpy32