My knees just say NO!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
mshupe

My knees just say NO!

Post by mshupe »

I am on week 4 now, but my knees are really protesting each run. I went to a running store and had them do a gait analysis before I started, purchased great running shoes, but I am still feeling a lot of pain when I run. I don't know what to do other than to start the program over from week one and hopefully strengthen my knees slowly. Frustrating!
Dawn

Re: My knees just say NO!

Post by Dawn »

Hello - I don't have any advice as i haven't experienced any pain luckily. Where are you running? I am convinced that running off road is why i am not having this sort of issue......
MontanaGirl

Post by MontanaGirl »

My knees were screaming after the first week. I pushed through the second week anyway and it was truly a painful experience.

I stopped running altogether for a about 10 days until my knees didn't hurt at all anymore. Then I went to the running store and got my gait analyzed and got the appropriate footwear. Better arch support, pronation support, and more cushion. But the BIGGEST thing that helped me was that I started reading ChiRunning and working on my biomechanics. I no longer have heal strike - which is what was really causing my knee pain. Instead, my foot strikes about mid-foot - so now my feet and ankles are the shock absorbers and not my knees. I have to hightly recommend it. I started back by doing a W1, W2, and W3 run in the first week, then on to W3 per the program. I just finished W6 R2 and I have had ZERO knee pain in almost 4 weeks of running!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

But the BIGGEST thing that helped me was that I started reading ChiRunning and working on my biomechanics.
Hi MontanaGirl, which book did you read on ChiRunning? I'm glad it's working for you!
looneytunes

Post by looneytunes »

Hey Montana girl, I'd be interested in the name of that book too. I've seen a few books out there for the barefoot running style not sure what's the best and easiest to understand. Chi, post and I'm sure theres a 3rd one. I did see a book on line called"the complete idiots guide to barefoot running". Not sure if it's any good.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

There are loads of Chi Running videos on youTube :)
KaleeW

Post by KaleeW »

I've also reduced my knee pains from running by changing my running style. I try to land mid-sole too and it seems to help. I also prefer to run on trails rather than pavement and I think that has helped. If you do change to running mid-sole rather than heel strikes, take it easy at first as you'll be using different muscles which need to be strengthened up. If you have private health insurance, you may want to see your doctor to make sure you didn't injure yourself.