Transition from Week 1 to Week 2

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
sn02py

Transition from Week 1 to Week 2

Post by sn02py »

I started with the app on Saturday and Run 1 almost killed me. I couldn't even do all the runs as I was still huffing and puffing at the end of the between-run walks (very out of shape and I've been told I likely have a touch of asthma). However, Run 2 went a lot better and I was able to complete all the runs. Just got back from Run 3...it's very hot/humid out today, so it was challenging, but I feel energized rather than exhausted now.

I originally planned to do week 1 twice, given my initial difficulty with completing the runs. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to 90 seconds of running. Should I try it, and if I can't do it, go back to week 1? On the run 1, when I could run, I was slowing down at the 10 second left mark and was back to a full walk the second I heard my music fade! :lol: However, today, I wasn't as anxious to stop running and would continue a couple extra seconds until I got to my goal marker (ie. a tree, pole). This makes me think maybe I should continue to push myself and try to get to the 90 second mark. Do the extra 30 seconds on the breaks make a difference?

I should also note that my next run is supposed to be on Saturday, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that one. I'm going on a weekend trip...may try to get up early and find a park or something to run around before my boyfriend gets up, but since it's a holiday and we'll be walking around the city a ton anyway, I'm not going to worry too much about it! So, that means my next run won't be until Monday morning. Will it be harder to get back into it after that long of a break? I could probably run tomorrow night if that would be a better choice!
Dawn

Re: Transition from Week 1 to Week 2

Post by Dawn »

Hello - Sounds like it's going great.....if i were you i would try week two. When i was starting I was always frightened of moving on to the next stage, and i do remember feeling at the time that wk2 d1 was tough, i really noticed the extra 30 seconds but you can in realisty probably do it. I think it's our minds we have to train as much as anything. Eventually you will start to believe you can do it....you can ...cos you already are....:)

And like you say you can go back if it is too much...i have repeated weeks. I too can't always keep to the days - due to work but it's ok, just so long as you do have your rest days. I had 12 days off running last month and when i came back - i had my best run ever....so don't worry...really just believe in yourself.....

Dawn
pundecided

Post by pundecided »

Dawn wrote:I think it's our minds we have to train as much as anything.
I TOTALLY agree with this - the programme is designed to be stretching yet achievable at each stage, and as the weeks progress you will probably be surprised at how quickly your body adjusts. Of course everyone is different and you may find the need to stop pushing and to re-do a previous run, but if you don't give the new run a go, you won't know. Just take it steady and run realllly slowly (I'm sure people would have been able to walk past me on some of my early "runs".

I just did week 9 run 1 after about a fortnight break from illness and I was terrified that I would have lost my fitness and ability to do it, but actually it was ok. Our minds and bodies are sometimes stronger than we think. Give it a go - what have you got to lose? And good luck x
Pushingit

Post by Pushingit »

I felt the same about running for the 90 seconds but then focused on the fact that I only had to do 6 runs instead of 8 and I felt better about it - the first run of wk 2 is the hardest especially if you're running the same route and passing the marker where you'd normally finish and still have 30 seconds to go - I counted to 30 in my head really slowly for last 30 seconds just to occupy my mind - before I sorted out my iPod - and then console yourself at run 4 that last week you'd only be half way through whereas this wk you're over halfway - it's all mind games you play with yourself
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Pushingit wrote: it's all mind games you play with yourself
Again - i couldn't agree more. I read someone the other day here saying they listened to audiobooks instead of music. Actually works for me too - I concentrate on the book rather than barriers or reasons i need to stop!..... I am currntly listening to A Tiny little bit marvellous by Dawn French....quite funny!!! ;)
AliM

Post by AliM »

You have made a brilliant start.. Well done. Go for week 2 and try to make that 90 second target. The first one is often the hardest but just slow down and do a vvv slow jog. Trust the programme..... It's great, and the biggest barrier is usually in your head -certainly is in mine!! Relax.. Shoulders down.. Focus on your out breath and let us all know how you get on.