New

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Abbyalayne

New

Post by Abbyalayne »

Just finished week 1 day 1. Wasn't sure my knees would take it but they eased right into it. Was looking ahead at the runs, thinking how will I ever run for 20 mins straight????
Dawn

Re: New

Post by Dawn »

Hello Welcome :) I don't know how it's possible ....but it is! Honest! ;)
rosieg

Post by rosieg »

Hi there - stick to it. I have never done anything like this before but felt it would get me off my backside and be good for me and having read everyones comments I felt i had to give it a go. To start with I had terrible problems with my knees, to the point I could hardly walk, but I massaged them with arnica and did lots of stretches inbetween as mentioned in my other posts. I also went and had my gait analysed properly at a running shop and found that my trainers I was running (jogging) in were probably causing the problems. So I invested in a new pair and it was like a miracle - my knees have been fine since! So it does make a difference and is well worth having your gait analysed. I am now on Week 5 having just done Run 2 and I cant believe that I have managed to do 8 minutes twice!!!! Admittedly I am not running, its more like a slow jog but when I first started I was despairing at doing a minute!! So it does work..... So stick to it, I am, the only thing I'm disappointed about is I havent lost any weight at all. I havent cut down on my food but I am certainly not eating any more. Is anyone else losing anything??? I've got a 20 minutes jaunt to look forward to tomorrow and i am wondering how on earth i am going to do it, it seems such a jump from 8 minutes... i'll let you know how i get on.
AliM

Post by AliM »

Well done. I'm back on week 6 for the 2nd time as I had a nasty virus and had to take 3 weeks off. Ran week 5 run 3 this week and it was hard but very ok. Stick with it. I really struggled most weeks and wondered if it would ever get easier but I'm getting there. Week 3 saw me very close to vomiting in public for the first time but I survived!! I'm 45 and have always struggled to run but now I can... For 20 minutes!!!!!
Keep going and keep posting , it all helps.
Pushingit

Post by Pushingit »

Try not to think about the runs at the end of the programme because you'll scare yourself thinking if I'm gasping for breath after 1 minute how can I possibly rum 20 or 30 - that's the beauty of this app - take it run by run and you'll be amazed how you progress without realizing it - well done on making a start
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

rosieg wrote:......the only thing I'm disappointed about is I havent lost any weight at all. I havent cut down on my food but I am certainly not eating any more. Is anyone else losing anything??? ...
Hi. Well done on where you have got to! You and others are all an inspiration to a newbie1 :) Maybe your weight is static because your body is changing: fat turns into muscle? In the past I have found low GI diet helps with loosing weight. Who knows - trying that alongside this programme might work? I found Rick Gallop's books very good; simple, motivational and nice recipes. Mike