weight loss?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
runamc

weight loss?

Post by runamc »

hey I have to say this app is amazing!! if anyone new is reading this and is wondering how on earth they are going to run for 20 plus mins then take it from me, you can an will be able to do it, I was a lazy person who had let my fitness go and now I'm on week seven and I'm cruising through it! so now I'm running for 25mins a time and im starting to think 'why am I not losing weight?'. my diet isn't that bad, I try to eat healthily as often as I can thought I am still partial to a few beers at the weekend! have people lost weight using this app? I lost some at the start but now I seem to have hit a wall and can't get past 12 stones, any ideas? btw I'm 173cm tall which places me as overweight on the bmi scale so wanna get to my ideal range
caffrin

Re: weight loss?

Post by caffrin »

Hi runamc
I think you are now eating as many calories as you are using with the running. You would also have built more muscle in your legs which weighs more than the fat it has replaced. I finished the programme a few weeks ago and am now running on average 20k (13 miles) a week but I still need to watch what I eat as I need to still lose 2 stone - I have already lost 1 stone. I am using mynetdiary to track my calories. It's a great app for the iphone, ipad or computer. Well done on your progress so far and good luck with your further weight loss :D
Happy running!
Catherine
http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
runamc

Post by runamc »

thanx for replying, hope you shift that stone also, what type of running have u been doing since you finished the programme? I'm almost there and have no idea what to do next lol
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Hi runamc
I thought about it long and hard. I tried starting the programme again by jogging the walks and running the runs but I found it very difficult to control the speed and absolutely knackered myself out in the first 5 minutes! I looked around at other apps that take you to 10k but I am not so bothered about running 10k. I just want to do a faster 5k. So I suppose it depends on your goal. If you want to do a 10k run the "bridge to 10k" app would be good. If you just want to keep the running going to get an easier 5k (I want to get to sub 30 minutes at the moment my record is 37 minutes) then many magazines I have read and Benjohn recommend doing a long run, a fartlek and a 5k run each week.
So I am running 3 times a week with an additional 2k run to get the car from the station 5 times a week. My three runs are;
one slow long run where I add on 250 metres each week - I am up to 5.75 km at the moment next week will be 6k
one fartlek where I run fast for one minute then walk for 2 minutes and repeat for around 30 minutes
one 5k "race" in the park with 700 to 800 other people which is timed individually and very motivating!
I track all this with runkeeper or runmeter when runkeeper is slow which seems to be happening a lot lately. It seems to work well for my speed and is still enjoyable as you can see results each week. I have back pain at the moment and so am not running for a couple of weeks which is very frustrating so will start again soon.

My advice really would be to try different things out and see what suits you and your goals best and get runners world magazine which is very good for running tips for beginners.
Good luck :D
http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
prettypistol

Post by prettypistol »

Thanks for the good news Runamc! I just completed W1R1 and the thought has crossed my mind... "Will I really be able to do that in 6 weeks, 7 weeks...?"

I have found keeping a food journal that tallys calories is a big help. Mainly because I'm more mindful and I'm seeing how everything adds up.

Keep up the good work!

~a
chipset

Post by chipset »

I also haven't seen any weight loss from the program. But, my cardio is much better. I am also going to donate blood tomorrow and they will give me a cholesterol count. This is where I am expecting a decent difference.

While my ex and I used to eat very similar diets, her cholesterol was much lower than mine. Genetics will affect it, but she was working out 5 days a week. That will have a huge difference. So, I am hoping mine will do.

Now that I have graduated, I am going to continue to run but shift that to 5 days a week. And I am also going to start another program around more cardio and some weights. From there, we shall see.

Good luck!
runamc

Post by runamc »

well I'm glad you are all doing well keep following the programme and you will notice such a difference in not only your running but your confidence as well, I recently met a friend I hadn't seen for a while and he called me skinny! wo0ho0! lol
KaleeW

Post by KaleeW »

How often are you running each week right now? You may want to try walking or swimming on off days or short run days. Also, try to eat more protein and less carbs in your diet as that may help. Try keeping track of your calories and meals just like you do with your runs.
Kalee - Where are some good places to run in Chicago? I'm visiting there this summer.
runamc

Post by runamc »

hey thanx for replying, I go running Monday Wednesday and friday due to circumstances I'm not able to go the other days, I try to avoid carbs but I love the food they are in!! maybe if I try and do some of my running at a higher intensity?? not sure if that will work
runwithdogs

Post by runwithdogs »

Try eating anti-inflammatory for a few weeks and see what happens. I cannot tolerate grains or dairy due to my asthma, and the side effect of this diet was losing 40lbs and getting clearer skin. You will get plenty of good carbs, iron, and calcium through this diet as well.

Raw nuts (almonds, walnuts etc) Peanuts are legumes and I avoid them
Non starchy veggies
low fat cuts of meat
Fish
Fruits
dark beer
red wine
dark chocolate

Good luck!