Avid Walker, New Runner

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
ashleymcn

Avid Walker, New Runner

Post by ashleymcn »

I walk 4-5 times a week, roughly 4.5 miles each walk. Some days I do 4 miles, others 5, but on average, 4.5 is a safe number. Within the past week and a half I have challenged myself to start running while on my walks, perhaps 2 days out of the week. It was really hard at first, but each outing it seems as though I am able to push myself a bit further, running a little further each time. I've lost 11 pounds in the past 2 months, so with the loss of the weight, it feels easier to move my body in a running motion now. Note, I don't yet have the Get Running app, which is where my question comes in.

I love my walks and the fact that I've lost weight, with about 20 more pounds to go, but question if I might be doing to much. If I start the running program, will it kill me to keep walking once the 30 minute run is up? I love the cardiovascular benefits of moving for an hour or longer, and wondered if anyone else worked out this way. I have some pretty steep hills that I walk up towards the middle of my walk, so I guess the running program would be done by the time I hit those hills so I could just cruise up them and head home. Although I do jog up one or two of the hills on the days I practice running.

On the days I don't walk, I use a weight program at home where I'm still moving for about 45 minutes, but working on muscle rather than cardio, and I would like to keep that aspect of my training just for muscle tone.

Has anyone else incorporated a program of this type in with the Get Running app? I don't want to overdo it and injure myself, but I'm on a roll with the walking and want to build up to running, and would love to do them both together.

Any advice would be great!
fabrisky

Re: Avid Walker, New Runner

Post by fabrisky »

Hi there,

Not quite sure what you want to do : do your walking and then straight after do a workout using the get running app ?

IMHO I would skip one walking day and try to only run with the get running apps that day. Maybe just once a week and see Bear in mind that at the begining of the get running app you are actually walking and running so you are still doing what you like walking.

If you want to do your walking and then straight after do a workout using the get running app it might be a lot as it might not be. you are the only judge. just give it a go and see.

The get running is a great app and you are free to use it as your liking. I use to only do one workout a week with this app and then when i felt ready 2 then 3. When going 3 time a week out i started the app all over again from the scratched.

Btw congratulation about your weight lost
ashleymcn

Post by ashleymcn »

I think what I will do is the Get Running app at the start of the walk, then wrap up with walking so I can get in my 4.5 miles or so. I got a bit overwhelmed thinking about how I would use the running app, walk and also work in the EA Active Sports for the Kinect that I just received. But after a couple of days of thinking about it, I think I have a plan.

I just purchased myself some new Brooks Glycerin shoes, and my shin splints didn't hurt as bad as I ran throughout my walk this morning. Shin splints was my last hurdle to purchasing the app and starting fresh. So with the comfort of new shoes and a clear head, I'm ready to get started. Wish me luck!

PS - just weighed today and down another pound! It's amazing what moving your feet one in front of the other will do for you!
KaleeW

Post by KaleeW »

Just don't over do it. You may want to run in the morning and walk at night rather than doing them on top of each other. If your muscles are aching or sore after your runs, don't go walking on your regular route. Just listen to your body and don't push it too far or you could injure yourself.
Kalee - Where are some good places to run in Chicago? I'm visiting there this summer.