Eeekkk week 5 run 3

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Gemgem368

Eeekkk week 5 run 3

Post by Gemgem368 »

Well I'm on week five run two tomorrow and starting to feel nervous about run three on Monday!! I know I just need to with it and see how I get on. Ihave suprised myself so far though. Just wondered how others got on with their first 20 min run! Thank u in advance for any replies!!!
chipset

Re: Eeekkk week 5 run 3

Post by chipset »

You know, it wasn't easy but it was doable. Simply slow down to start and don't focus on the 20 minutes. Focus on the next 5 minutes.

Focus on breathing, listening to your music and enjoy the outdoors. Before you know it, it will be over.

Good luck.
Petra

Post by Petra »

Today I finished week 5, run 2. This means I have to do the dreaded week 5, run 3 this Monday. I feel the same about it... But every time I had to move on to the next 'level', I was able to do it. So maybe the 20-minute run is also doable. But I still have my doubts. The second 8-minute run today wasn't easy, and going from 8 to 20 minutes of running seems such a big step!
A friend of mine, who did the C25k program last year, and is now doing olympic distance triathlons (see where you can end up when you start this program....) also told me that she felt the same about the 20-minute run, but reassured me that it was doable. But I don't feel very confident about it.

Good luck with your run!
russellelly

Post by russellelly »

It definitely is do-able. Don't be afraid to slow down considerably compared to the 8 minute runs, but don't walk and don't stop! Good luck :)
Gemgem368

Post by Gemgem368 »

Thanks! Fingers crossed eh tho it's very good advice I'm lookin forward to it after my 8 minute runs today! I didn't want to stop! Fingers crossed I feelthat way monday!!
Gemgem368

Post by Gemgem368 »

Let me know how u get on Petra looks like we are in the same place! Good luck altho I'm sure u don't need it!! X
Petra

Post by Petra »

I did it!!!!! And you know what? It wasn't even that difficult! For the first couple of minutes, my muscles were a bit stiff and I was trying to find out what a good pace was for me. But when I found a rythm, it felt good. When Clare mentioned that I passed the 15-minute point, I knew that I was able to finish it.
I still can't believe it! I started this program at July 13., and just a month later, I'm able to run for 20 minutes. I'm still running quite slow, but I'm running!
Now I'm confident that I can finish the rest of the program. On Thursday a 5-8-5 minute run. Piece of cake :-).

If I can do it, anyone can do it!
Jam78

Post by Jam78 »

Well done Petra!

I did my first 20 minute run last night too. I found the first 5 minutes the hardest but then I was off! I kept it slow too and I was so, so delighted when I finished it.

I had zero fitness when I started this and I also have asthma so I am really chuffed and can't wait to get out there again!
Petra

Post by Petra »

It's good to hear that you succeeded too, Jam78! And how about you, gemgem368? Did you finish the 20-minute run last Monday? How did it go?
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

So great to read about everyone else's challenges, I just did run 2 week 4 today and looking at run 3 week 5 thinking... "20 min ppfffft!" Thanks for the encouragement! It's great to know other people were daunted but pushed through!