Running shoes- how do you pick them?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Kelly Sharp

Running shoes- how do you pick them?

Post by Kelly Sharp »

Yesterday I bought my very first pair of proper running shoes (I've been training for a half marathon for four months now in some that were battered) This opened my eyes to a whole new world of humiliation and treadmill pain as an entire shop of customers laughed at my woefully flat feet and curved spine. But what a revelation- I wore them today and my left hip didn't howl and my left knee didn't try to detach itself from my leg at around mile 8, which it usually does.
I tried to upload a picture but my tecnical skills are sadly woeful- look at my new whizzy runners on my blog http://kelly-sharp.blogspot.com/. It got me wondering how other, more experienced runners, select their shoes- do you all take the treadmill test? How much is too much money for runners?
Last edited by matt on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link
KaleeW

Re: Running shoes- how do you pick them?

Post by KaleeW »

When I first got into running, I bought some running shoes without getting properly fitted like you did. They were OK but when it was time to get a new pair and I knew more about running, I got fitted and ran on the treadmill like you did. My new pair of running shoes fit me perfectly and I wasn't as sore as I was with my old shoes. Now, I try to stick with the same shoes when I replace them and I also get a fitting every two years or so in case anything changes.
Kalee - Where are some good places to run in Chicago? I'm visiting there this summer.
matt

Re: Running shoes- how do you pick them?

Post by matt »

I had just the same revelation. Wore cheap old trainers for weeks, finally went to a shop with one of those treadmills that videos you as you run, and the chap pointed out on the screen how well my feet landed in a couple of pairs compared to all the others -- I'm also flat-footed. And yes, made a big difference, especially to the aches and pains I was getting.

Since then I've just been buying the new season's version of the same shoes about every six months (I'm quite heavy so I kill shoes quickly.) Think they normally cost about £80. Those and the couple of tops and one pair of shorts I'm averaging a year make running a pretty cheap hobby, all told, so I don't begrudge it too much!
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)