Mental techniques for running long distances

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Kelly Sharp

Mental techniques for running long distances

Post by Kelly Sharp »

Hi everyone
I've just finished reading an awesome book, which recommends that you use positive self talk when running to help you get the miles under your belt. I tried tonight and I'm ashamed to say that I just don't have the concentration skills- my mind was anywhere except repeating 'I am healthy. I am strong.' Check out my BLOG at http://kelly-sharp.blogspot.com/ Does anyone use mantras/ positive self talk successfully? If so, is there a knack to it?
Thanks x
KeepTrying

Re: Mental techniques for running long distances

Post by KeepTrying »

Don't know if my max 20min, 4km run counts as long distance! Buy I find music on my iPhone is a great help. Keep thinking of making up a playlist of good brisk tempo music to help me along. Mike
Yolly

Post by Yolly »

When I feel like I'm losing momentum, I say 'strong body, strong mind, strong mind, strong body' seems to keep me going!!
Kelly Sharp

Post by Kelly Sharp »

Strong body, strong mind sounds good. Someone has also recommended 'and the wheel keeps turning,' which works too. I get physically tired as soon as I loose my focus- I'm definitely an 'all in the mind' runner.
Pushingit

Post by Pushingit »

I started out listening to uptempo music on my iPod but as I progressed i find that listening to an audio book really passes the time - I jog on a treadmill at home so there are no distractions and without my iPod it'd be extremely boring just watching the numbers clock up
matt

Post by matt »

My mental technique for getting through long distances (and I did a half marathon yesterday, so it's on my mind at the moment!) is to try to concentrate on *now*, rather than on the finish line.

Focusing on what's going on around me right at the moment, and on my body and my feet on the ground, seems to get me through long distances a lot better than thinking about the finish line, or how far I've got so far and how long I've got to go.

Mind you, this is my technique for just getting from the start line to the finish line -- I'm not trying to finish in a particular time. It's possible you do need to think more about the whole race from start to finish if you want to be more competitive than I am :D

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)