Couch to 21.1K

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
samjdalton

Couch to 21.1K

Post by samjdalton »

On April 27th this year I started GetRunning. Those initial 60 second runs nearly killed me - it was all so hard, my legs hurt, I could barely breath and I had no idea how I was supposed to run for 30 minutes in only 9 weeks. At that time I was nearly 20 stone (275lbs) and knew I had to change my life in somehow.

But sure enough, 9 weeks later I graduated the programme and could run for 30 minutes and had run my first (and 2nd!) 5K in a little over that marker.

I went on to train to run for an hour, and 6 weeks later managed to do that and run a 10K in just over an hour.

Today, after another 5 weeks or so of training I ran a half marathon. 13.1 miles non-stop in 2 hours and 5 minutes.

Today I weigh a little under 14 stone (190lb). Running has meant everything to me. It's given me the motivation I needed to lose weight, and has given me the biggest thrill today in completing something that I would have never been able to even think about 4 short months ago.

If you are struggling with GetRunning, keep in mind my journey. If I can do it, *anyone* can do it. Have belief in the programme and give it your all and you will succeed
Latestarter

Re: Couch to 21.1K

Post by Latestarter »

Wow! Way to make me feel that perhaps just completing my 25 min week 6 run 3 is not the achievement I felt it was! No, seriously, well done you, that is fantastic. I'm too old to think of running so far but I do think 5 k is within reach and that's fine for a 60 yr old woman. But stories like yours are great to hear. Hearty congratulations.
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Fantastic achievement. You should be justifiably proud. You are a fantastic inspiration to us. I was toying with doing a half marathon next spring. I think you have just cemented my resolve! :-). But I'd just better get through my w6r3 25min run tomorrow morning first! Thanks for sharing your story.
Pushingit

Post by Pushingit »

That is absolutely fantastic - you must be a whole new person - congratulations on a such a hard-earned achievement - don't think I'll ever do a marathon but I do look at other joggers that seem so move with so much ease and think to myself someday that will be me
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

God - what an inspiration - Just brilliant to hear. Thanks for sharing...... I have lots of weight to lose - loving the running but not losing that much yet - lost about a stone....guess if i am honest i haven't done much to lose weight yet thoug....anyway - i will think of your story! :) Great!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm replying to this post just to get it up to the top again. It is absolutely inspirational Sam. I can't doubt that the app works after reading your story.

I'm looking forward to making the same journey.