Getting started

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Taliebip

Getting started

Post by Taliebip »

I've never ran in my life, get tired jogging for few seconds and think it's my breathing, any tips?

I have to get rid of this baby fat so thought jogging is the best way and cheapest coz my mates drop me in it for gym, my question and worry is the first week and first session do you have to run or is it just walking fast to get you started? I'm also worried I'll be doing it in a street and people can see.

Help needed, absolutely terrified
Carlos_wsop

Re: Getting started

Post by Carlos_wsop »

I'm only just getting back into running after 20 years or more out of it , first thing I'd say is don't worry what anyone will think about you running in the street there are loads out there in similar position to you , but if you feel you can't show yourself yet on the street see if there is a park nearby you can run round or if you drive go out to quieter roads and run from there . If you follow the programme you will start with a 5 min walk to warm up then a 1 min jog then a 1.5 min walk repeated 8 times and end with a 5 min cool down walk followed by some stretching . sounds to me like your breathing could be down to nerves and being over anxious , just take it nice and steady even if you are barely jogging and take mice deep breaths as you run not short panicky type breaths in no time at all you will start to feel heaps better , good luck and I hope this is of some help
Taliebip

Post by Taliebip »

Aww thanx for the advice I will take that on board although I've tried every breathing technique I can think of, I never got out today so hopefully try tomorrow, got some exercise by cleaning my house though so it's a start...thanx again
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hey there,

I had always hated running for 44 years of my life!!! I love it now. I am still overweight. I am sure there are people who look on and judge but they will whatever you do! Don't worry - what are they doing? You are out there and running. What i would say is try to remember you are doing this for you. If you are not able to stick to the program one day...only you knows...if you have a crap day - do what you can and try again the next day. I repeated a couple of weeks due to illness and sometimes lack of confidence but i have to say if i just went for it - generally i was able to do it....this programme is very very clever. I really just love it.....never thought i would.....good luck - it helps sharing here too....

Dawn
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Hi Taliebip. Good on you! Don't be deterred. I don't want to sound all evangelical - but this programme and app can change lives! Just go for it. Two month's investment (well - 9 weeks...) and you will find yourself doing something you might never have imagined you could! Take it form me. A slobby unfit 47y old who has not run for donkey's years. Just done my final run this evening; week 9 run 3. Can't believe what I have managed. Chuffed to death. And you can do it too. Take the plunge. Don't worry about what others think.
Before I got into this - I used to look at runners in the street with a mixed sense of envy and admiration. And now I look at them and think 'way to go' - 'cos we are all part of this together. It doesn't matter how slow or fast you are. Or what shape you are. Style does not matter. Wear what you like. You are doing this for you - no one else. Just be proud of what you are starting - what you are achieving. And believe that - whatever your style or speed - there will be others out there who look at you with that same mixture of envy and admiration too!

Re. the breathing. Just follow the programme - keep it as slow as you wish. If all you can manage in week 1 is 1 minute of very slow jogging or even fast walking then stick with that. Some people choose to repeat the early weeks a few times. Actually week 1 and 2 cna be more tough than the later ones - especially if you are doing this with no previous activity. But listen to the lovely voice of Coach Claire - and enjoy the journey you are starting out upon! Listen to some cool music on your iPod/iPhone. Enjoy the world passing by an dyour own time for yourself. The breathing thing will soon fall into place. And make sure you walk briskly for the first five minutes' warm up. I am sure this is one of the most vital parts of the programme.

Keep in touch in this forum. I found it a huge help to read what others were writing here. Join in - and have fun! 8-)
Randrb

Post by Randrb »

I have just done week 1 day run and only managed to do half...4 mins run in total and I am feeling really disheartened.......will it get better someone please help?
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Hi Randrb. Firstly - well done for even giving it a go! The whole idea of C25K is to get off the couch (.. whether it is a real one or a figurative one!..) and get out there to start doing some stuff. The fact you have even taken the plunge is probably the biggest step of it all. Like most (?all?) of us who have started the Getrunning C25K programme - running is probably not our easiest venture. So well done for starting. Secondly - it's really good you have found this forum and posted to it. There are loads of others who are going through the programme - from starters to those who have finished. You will find others at a similar stage as you. Stick with it. Keep posting.

I'm no expert (...I was at your stage 2 months ago...). But what strikes me from my own experiences of failed previous attempts at runnign - and my success so far with this - is that there seem to be a few things that get Running does which makes all the difference. Firstly - don't miss out any of the warm-up period. If you have not done much physical activity for ages then you may need to increase yoru five minute warm up to 10 or 15 mminutes. Keep the walk brisk enough so that after five minutes you are feeling a little sweaty. Just a little. Forehead, arm, armpits - anywhere really. That is the sign that you are warmign up. Secondly, When you start to run keep your pace as slow as you like. Don't be tempted to run too fast - even of only one minute. if you do - a minute will feel like ages, your body will complain and each 1 minute run will get harder. Some people even only do a very slow jog or a brisker walk for the 1 minute phase. That's fine. Just make sure that you do a one minute slightly faster and a one minute slower. Thirdly, you can always stick at a certain point before progressing to the next week. Often the first two or three weeks seem to be hardest - so repeat the earlier weeks till you feel comfortable. Fourthly, try not to give up. Today, you could have packed it in after only one minute. You didn't - you did 4 x 1 minutes. Great. Next time aim for 4 x 1 minute again. Or perhaps 5. You might surprise yourself and manage all 8! Please come back - share how it has gone. Good luck!
SAMRONS

Post by SAMRONS »

Hi

I have just completed my week 9 last run. Lets put things in perspective. Im 3 stone overweight. Never ran in my life. Late 30,s. When i first did my first run i never imagined i would be writing this. I could not run for a 30 seconds never mind 30 minutes. Honestly If i can do it anyone can. I repeated a few weeks, 3 and 4 i think. Its all a mind game. So many arguments gp on in my head. At the start of every run im telling myself.. No way i cant do this... Somehow i do tho. Stay positive. I went thru different teething problems. Firstly i could not breath then it was my legs that hurt bad. Im so proud of what i have done and aim to carry on running. Im not fast but im getting faster each run. Great app and could not have done it without it. I used to drive past runners and think.. I would love to do that. Now i can. I used to read these posts wen i started and it gave me insperation do if i can inspire one person then im happy

Now get running!!

Now get running