new runner!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
beginnerrunner

new runner!

Post by beginnerrunner »

Hello

I have just started the programme. I did my first second week run yesterday. I'm really enjoying running but suffering from pain in my shins. I'm warming up and stretching but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Can anyone recommend anything to help?

Thanks
T
Vonnyh

Re: new runner!

Post by Vonnyh »

beginnerrunner wrote:Hello

I have just started the programme. I did my first second week run yesterday. I'm really enjoying running but suffering from pain in my shins. I'm warming up and stretching but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Can anyone recommend anything to help?

Thanks
T
Hi T
I've had the same problem last time. The pain started in my warm up walk. Well I think I've walked to fast and taken to long steps. But it stopped when I past the first run ( I'm on week 3)
Vonne
betsey

Post by betsey »

I'm not an expert but I can tell you that happened to me a few years ago, I bought a new pair of runners and that seemed to solve the problem (for me anyway).
Gillhunter

Post by Gillhunter »

Hi, I'm on week 5 of this plan and have also been getting sore shins, what I believe to be shin splints. You should check the symptoms of shin splints to see if it sounds like your problem too. If it is then there's not much you can do about it. I have started running on softer surfaces, like grass or mud track - this helps a lot. New shoes may also help relieve some of the force/impact running has on your shins. Hope it gets better.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

The forum search is working properly now! There are quite a few posts that have talked about shin splints, and some have good good advice in them. Also well worth looking on google.
beginnerrunner

Post by beginnerrunner »

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Good news shin pain seems to have gone, just done my first run in week 4 and not too bad though hard work especially we very high temperatures!!