Week 1 day 2

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Carlos_wsop

Week 1 day 2

Post by Carlos_wsop »

Im about to do day 2 week 1 tomorrow , I used to run along time ago (20 years +) now 48 I've decided I need to get into shape and sort myself out , after running day 1 I must say I was surprised how easy it went . I just took it steady and intend to follow the programme religiously even if I feel I could skip a week or 2 . Must say my main problem though was tight leg muscles a short time after run finished , I did plenty of stretching when I finished so am just putting it down to the need to get used to it again , if anyone's got any advice on tired legs or what to eat before a run and how long before it would be most appreciated . Hopefully day 2 will go as well as day 1 , my legs still feel slightly tight but 100% better than yesterday . Well done to anyone just stating running like me and keep goin we will all get there in the end and feel better for it , also could anyone recommend a reasonable pair of running shoes (not to expensive I'm not an expert yet lol) , many thanks in advance and I'll post how my day 2 run went .
Carlos_wsop

Re: Week 1 day 2

Post by Carlos_wsop »

Just done my 2nd run on week 1 , found this tougher than day 1 but I'm putting it down to my legs not recovered properly from 1st run . Having said that I covered more distance than day 1 (2.54 miles) (2.39 mile on day 1) , so although it was tougher it was an improvement plus I'm expecting days where it's going to get tough especially as the training increases , next run on Weds now so hopefully I can get my legs more with it . One bit of advice I took was I had a cold bath in about 12 inch of water for 5 mins before my run today and must say considering how my legs felt when I got up this morn they were feeling alot better after the bath .
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hello - i did as you are doing and stuck to the prog. even if i felt i could do more - although i must say when i got to the end i did run extra at the end if i felt i could. Funnily enough, i remember thinking week 2 was so much harder than week 1 - then i had no probs again really.....
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Hi Carlos. welcome. Hope it goes well for you! I've just done my final run of the programme (w9r3) tonight. I remember back 9 weeks ago I was getting all concerned about distances and someone wisely advised me not to think about the distances at all yet. Just get into the programme. Enjoy the feeling of gettiing into shape. Work towards endurance rather than distance. Keep your pace slow. Warm up plenty before and cool down at the end. And don't forget plenty of stretches after your cool down. I'm the same age as you (recently turned 47y) and I must remind myself that my joints and muscles arent the same as they were 20 years ago (sadly!) so they will take a bit more time to get back into the shape I want them.

Can't really advise re running shoes. I have pair of Nike Zooms which I bought a couple of years ago (before a previous failed attempt to get back into running). They've served me well over the last 9 weeks. I think they were around £80 - which seemed a crazy amount 2 years ago - but I think that is par for the course. There was a review of running shoes in the October 2011 edition of Runners World. When I am ready to buy a new pair I shall be heading to a running shop for proper biomechanic assessment and advice. Depending on where you live you might have a Sweatshop http://www.sweatshop.co.uk or runners World http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk near you.

Good luck - and keep posting here!
Last edited by KeepTrying on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maddy

Post by Maddy »

Hi... :D Also just started to run using the gym and the Get Running App day1 week 1
I had problems with my knee when starting to run but was wearing normal trainers. The Gym manager suggested I visit a proper running shop and spend a bit of money on some decent running shoes. It cost me £90 but have to say it's the best investement I've made. No more knee or ankle pain. it got to the point I had to stop running.
The running shop made me run on a running machine then videoed my legs in motion and then recommened the best shoe for my body..
I'm 54 and like you used to run some 25-30 years ago. I've been running for 2 weeks but for 1 min on 1 min off.
On my freechoice training at the gym I use the GR app. I can see the improvement already.
I also use a heart monitor and run to my heart beat rather than passing out and overdoing it.
I find I run best on porridge first thing and a light bite afternoon or evening.
I havent tried the cold bath bit, that sounds torture lol
Dee_Ryles

Post by Dee_Ryles »

Hey Carlos, well done on W1D2! :) LITERALLY just finished it myself, reaaaally need a drink!!

I'm someone who can only run on an empty stomach but I've found that bananas are flipping great food for giving you bounds of energy even if you run an hour after eating it. The tightness could be down to your running shoes or just cramping because you didn't warm up?

I've just finished the clearance section for our running catalogue and there are some great deals out there! (you can find them cheaper than where I work for haha!!) but it all depends on what kind of 'pronator' you are. The ASICS GEL-CUMULUS has gone on sale because it's an out of season colourway so what's usually £75 can be found at JJB for £40, also Nike Lunareclipse+s which are going into sale because the 2nd versions being released next month (£50 I think?) all depends on your needs, but ASICS and Nike are very reliable brands! :)

Good luck and hope that's somewhat helpful! Darcy x
Carlos_wsop

Post by Carlos_wsop »

Firstly may I thank everyone who's left me advice and feedback it certainly helps to share how your doing with others in the same position as you ,

Right then I've just got in from completing the last run on week 1 so I now have 2 days off before I start week 2 , today went really well , legs felt better as the run got going , very slight aching but nothing like the run on day 2 , if anything I slowed the pace down a touch which seemed to suit so hopefully this will put me in a good place ready to start week 2 , will post after run on Saturday how it went .
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Carlos_wsop wrote:will post after run on Saturday how it went .
Great. Keep the posts coming! Glad w1r3 went OK. And the 2 day break makes a difference.
Jellylegs

Post by Jellylegs »

Hey all. Just sitting on a glasgow park bench listening to holst's the planets after completing w1r2. Great way to end. Looking forward to a drink. Enjoying this though I have to say.