Running Shoes

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
TransTina

Running Shoes

Post by TransTina »

I desperately need a new pair.

I am not a snob, but I believe you get what you pay for, and as it's my feet we are talking about, I don't mind spending a bit if I have to.

What should I plum for?
Best wishes

Tina

It costs a lot to look this cheap
benjohn

Re: Running Shoes

Post by benjohn »

Apparently, you don't (get what you pay for), according to the "British Journal of Sports Medicine" anyway…

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... _good.html

Personally, I went and found some that were comfortable and pretty cheap.

What I would suggest is that you find a small and independent (ideally local) running shop, and get them to give you guidance. They'll probably do "gait analysis" and use that to work out what shape and type of she you actually need. Then they'll be able to give you a few suitable options, and if you want, you can pick the most expensive one ;-)

Hope that helps!
TransTina

Post by TransTina »

Cool thanks!
Best wishes

Tina

It costs a lot to look this cheap
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi

When I started (a couple of months ago!!! lol) I decided to but cheap - purely because I thought there is no point if i am not going to like running....I did go to a proper running site and plumped for New Balance Trail running shoes. They were great - but i got them a bit too small. I went for my usual size and i found that they really squeezed my feet by the end of my run....so I just bought some new ones....went to a real running shop.

They only had one set of Trail running shoes anyway - so i had to get them, they are great...and still were only £55. Nike

So - a question for you??? Do they do gait analysis for ALL running shoes? I haven't seen the different options in Trail running shoes....does the fact you need that type of shoe over-ride the gait?

Thanks

Dawn
Biscottisblog

Post by Biscottisblog »

Hi Tina,

I am training for my first ever 5k run and decided to take the plunge with decent trainers. Like you, I always felt that the more you pay, the better you get, however, my trainer recommended I go to http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/(a brand I had never even heard of) and I have had amazing advice, gait analysis and great fitting shoes. They range in price from £55ish-£120ish, the ones I plumped for corrected my over-pronation, feel like a dream and cost £85.

As a kid who always cried at school when we had to do cross country running(!), I am proudly blogging about my 5k training, programmes and kit I get along the way - www.biscottisblog.co.uk - please feel free to comment if you find anything interesting or useful!

Happy running! :D
Biscotti x
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

Basically what everyone else is saying, get some cheaper ones to get going. When you feel ready, go get a gait analysis done, and you can get some trainers that are suited specifically to your running style.